Chapter 25: The Scenery in their Eyes

I cannot fully comprehend the situation I'm under in.

Does running away make me a fugitive? Does it make us fugitives? Was this a part of History? Or am I starting to change things?

Damn it, I should've read some more.

My thoughts weren't really processing quite well, my attention stuck to Prince Vante Osburne's hand in my right and Lisa's hand in my left. He was on the lead, guiding us three along narrow paths and alleys throughout the village streets. It wasn't long before we reached a small opening of thickets, leading us to a concealed meadow.

I could sense Lisa behind me, gradually slowing down. Her breaths, along with mine, were short and quick.

"Osburne, let's stop." I managed to belt out with the strength I have left. "No one is chasing after us."

He glanced at me and the exhausted maiden, his steps eventually put to a standstill.

Bombarded with exhaustion, we all collapsed onto the dry grass. There was only silence. The light din of the late afternoon breeze carrying fallen leaves was what filled the spaces of our heavy pants and wheezes. The adrenaline rush was gone and so I had to feel the wooziness sink in, the sensation that had just begun.

"Rosette, you don't look so good. Did I run too fast?" Prince Vante was the first to say, eyeing me with concern.

"I'm...fine..." I replied through a rough exhale. "Lisa needs a longer break though."

"I told you already," the lady replied, "I am not the Lisa that you speak of."

"You two sound as if you knew each other for quite a while, but your words are contradicting." Prince Vante shook his head in bewilderment. "What is it really? Are you friends perhaps?"

"No." She replied instantly.

"Yes." I babbled at the same time.

They both looked at me in utter confusion.

I drew an awkward grin. "I mean, we are friends now, right?"

She laughed. Oh, how I missed that laugh. "Right."

This reminds me of that time when we first met. A similar situation occurred back in the 21st century as well. Lisa was a brave soul who got into an argument with a bunch of classy rich folk and somehow I ended up shielding her from a slap.

Yes, that slap hurt a lot. But then, we got pulled away by some stranger. I was too overwhelmed with the rushing moment that I couldn't clearly see his face.

If first meetings in the 18th century were definitely connected with the 21st, like how I'd met the princes of Grand, then does that mean the stranger was...?

I secretly snuck a glimpse of Prince Vante. Is it you?

The maiden ceased her laughter, making me wonder why and shift my focus. Turned out that she caught the prince's regard, her eyes widened in alert and she immediately stood up despite the fatigue in her body.

"Please forgive me, Your Highness!" she bowed as low as she could, "This was all because of me and my selfish actions!"

The sadness was evident on his face, and I was aware of the fact that it was because he exposed himself so now the treatment was different. This kind of scenario was what he didn't want the most, yet I brought him to this.

I'm the one who's supposed to say sorry.

"Do not apologize," Prince Vante said, offering a weak smile, "for your actions are not selfish, and I did it since I needed to."