Chapter 28: The Journey That Ends In Lovers' Meeting

That was close.

It was a good thing that Prince Nathaniel was there to send me a signal. Otherwise, I would've been caught by that snobby brat. I wonder how he handled the situation after though. He does have a way of twisting his words so I bet he managed to explain through sprinkles of pleonasm anyway.

I was lying on my canopy bed as I lifted Aculeus lazily, observing how it looked so glorious under the topaz-crested chandelier. A little while later, my eyelids started to become heavy, and I was about to doze off.

Yet at that moment, I heard a knock on the door.

Urgently, I sat upright. "Yes?"

"His Highness wishes to speak with you, young miss." Gertrude's muffled voice informed me from the other side.

Which His Highness was she referring to?

Probably noticing my hesitation, a different voice joined in.

"Rosette," he said, taking a short indistinct pause, "it's me, Namjoon."

Speaking of the devil. And wait, why did Spectacles use his 21st-century name?! I mean, I did let it slip a few days ago but still—

Imagine the look on Gertrude's face.

I hurriedly rushed to open the door and flashed a quick smile at my personal assistant, all while ignoring Prince Nathaniel James' mischievous grin. She was so confused.

"Thank you for doing the honors of attending to this gentleman, Gertrude," I told her, yanking the royal inside, "you may now go."

I shut the door to a close. The prince beside me couldn't control himself any longer and proceeded to chortle like a wild hyena. I flinched, unaccustomed to the sound of his laughter.

"That was so funny!" the prince wiped a tear, "You even tripped on your own skirt! That dress of yours is quite the evil material, isn't it? First was from a couple of minutes ago, and now this!"

I could feel the heat stream along my cheeks. I folded my arms, glaring at him. "Are you only here to mock me?"

"No," he honestly replied, leaning against the windowsill as the sunlight caressed his deep dimples, it was as if he was being kissed by an angel, "but think about it, both my names have the initials of N and J, so I find it very fascinating."

I sighed, throwing out the reappearing memory of Prince Tayden who once positioned by my window as well. I don't want any distractions. At least for this day, I need to get him out of my head.

"So? What are you really here for?" I spoke up, "Surely it must be the details you were talking about with that snob earlier."

He snickered. "You still call him that?"

"I asked for details, not more teasing." I pressed, getting irritated that even Prince Agustus was being involved in the conversation.

"Then why are you blushing—"

"Nathan," I gripped onto the hem of my clothing, biting my lips, "just stop."

He did.

There was a transitory silence hanging in my bedchambers.

"Using people's weaknesses is unfair." Prince Nathaniel sulked, adjusting himself in his place before attempting to bring in my conscience.

"Says the man who threatened me with a small blade," I shook my head, waving my index finger at him, "Now tell me."

Defeated, he mumbled an inaudible fine.

"Agustus and I are both trying to figure out the Black Hood's identity, and in one way or another, our mother had a copy of this strange inexplicable poem. My brother believes that this was a clue. Like me, he already has a suspect in mind. The problem is that there were holes in his assumption. We're missing something."