Chapter 17: The Invader's Attack

I was wabbling with aching legs out of my room and through the silent corridors in the palace.

It was dead silence.

The only thing I kept on hearing was the sound of my footsteps, echoing its way through the hall. The royal guards were standing in all corners of the palace' walls, their armors were glistening under the warm shade of the sun. And yet somehow, the palace seemed quiet, too quiet.

It felt empty.

Where are they, anyway?

It has been three days since I had my first official training with my mentor Prince Jacob Erhart. Carrying bags of heavy sacks into the training field was harder than to be expected. I couldn't walk straight after that day, but still, it wouldn't be a hindrance for I am determined to learn how to defend myself.

... I had to.

It is the only way for me to survive in this world without solely depending on the princes and for me to protect myself from the person who'll try to kill me.

I could no longer hide or run away-- I have to face it.

Each step I walk, no sight of princes were found. Even though I didn't meet most of them oftentimes, still, I had a feeling that today seemed different than usual.

I decided to make my way to the training field, where I usually meet up with Prince Jacob for other training lessons.

Stepping into the grassy field, I saw familiar faces standing firm onto the ground. It was Prince Vante, Prince Jacque, my mentor Prince Jacob and even The Heir, crown prince Eugene Brancen, who was on his white horse. The four of them were even wearing their battle armor with each personal weapons at hand.

I hesitated for a brief second, judging from their faces, they must've discussed something serious. I decided it wasn't the right time to chime in with their own matter going on as of the moment. I was about to turn around and tiptoe my way out but it was too late since they've already caught sight of me.

I saw a waving hand and welcoming smile from Prince Jacque and so I made my way to them.

"Good morning, Miss Rosette." Prince Eugene greeted warmly.

"Greetings! Your Highnesses." Clasping both my hands together as a mannered gesture and bowed to each of them politely.

"No need for the formalities." Prince Jacque chuckled as I smiled in response.

"How were your legs? I was informed by Gertrude that you had experienced muscle ache from the last training." Prince Jacob asked.

He looked worried and I noticed Prince Vante glanced up from his sword to me, a hint of worry was in his dark orbs.

"I'm doing well, your highness. No need to fret." I reassured them.

"I see you all dilly-dally in here."

We all turned around and saw Prince Agustus making his way towards us, which I was extremely surprised of since it's in broad daylight and he mostly sleeps in during these certain times.

What shocked me most is that he wasn't technically alone either. Behind him was Prince Tayden, a cold stoic expression plastered on his face and blood all over his clothes.

"B-Blood," I whispered, keeping myself calm but to no avail as Prince Eugene noticed my initial reaction.

"We had a tip that Invaders are going to attack the Kingdom, Agustus and Tayden was sent in to observe the group, while we prepare our men in case of an outbreak." The Heir explained, sounding a bit angry and frustrated at the situation. Running and protecting a kingdom really isn't that easy hence enemies could be everywhere lurking, even inside the palace walls.