Chapter 9: The Bratty Prince

I woke up and Prince Tayden was nowhere to be found. Squinting my eyes and adjusting to the bright sunlight peering through the curtains, I covered myself using my thick blanket and tried to go back to sleep.

Alas, my life didn't want me to.

I heard the blissful humming of Gertrude as she entered the bedchamber. I quickly closed my eyes, but she already detected how my legs shifted underneath the sheets.

"Young miss! Oh, you're awake!" she chirped, similar to the birds singing me their wake-up call.

I hid my horrible face from view. "No, s-she's not. This is the b-blanket speaking."

Ugh, there's no use, Rosette. You suck at lying. And why would a blanket talk, fool?

Memories of last night came crashing down like a bolt of lightning. He held me, he lulled me to sleep, and his face was so close to mine as I sobbed hysterically.

I know your flaws, Miss Rosette. You stutter when you lie. His silvery voice echoed in my mind.

Heat rushed throughout my cheeks as I crumpled myself in bed, screaming onto the comfort of my pillow.

"Idiot! Why did I let myself get carried away?! That was so embarrassing!" I buried my nose to the point where I found it hard to breathe. Like a turtle seeking protection in its natural habitat.

I continued slapping myself in low tones, my screeches of discomfiture not reaching Gertrude's ears. She glided swiftly across the tiles as she carried my breakfast tray.

"It's best if you get you up now, young miss." She said, placing the silverware onto the side-table, her back arched and heavy. "You still have to meet the king later, correct?"

My eyes shot open and I flung my body upwards the way the dead would raise from their grave. "Wait, what?!"

"Did I not inform you about this? I thought for sure I did." The old lady blinked, clearly muddled. The rest of the staff took care of the room, arranging it to perfection.

I shook my head. Guilt spread within Gertrude's wrinkled face as she bowed down apologetically in a hurry.

"Forgive me for my maladroit performance! I shall not make such a mistake ever again!" she whimpered, which I figured would hurt her spinal cord more. I didn't want that.

With a gentle push of my voice, I did my best to sound authoritative. "Stand proper, Gertrude. You are not at fault. It is my responsibility to take note of my schedules and appointments for I am a guest here at Grand."

Gertrude and the other handmaidens looked at each other and smiled. The early hours of the morning led to a hearty meal, everything was at peace.

But not for long.

My timid footsteps dwindled to a stop when I stood before the Throne

My timid footsteps dwindled to a stop when I stood before the Throne. I gulped down the anxiety welling up in my throat. King Eldred sat proudly in his royal chair, his eyes of experience landed on my figure and I attempted to appear professional.