Chapter 30: The Horse Ride

What would be the best way to reunite seven withdrawn brothers who were traumatized by a tragic incident a decade past?

“Man, I would usually just Google these problems…” I sighed, letting my bare feet slide against the cold marble floor as I slip out of bed, “…although it’s too specific.”

I headed to the towering wardrobe, rummaging through the hanged dresses inside and taking out the well-hidden commoner clothing stitched by the Hemsworths that Prince Vante got for me. I did a quick change and clumsily tied my hair to a bun, so when I would pull up my hood, it wouldn’t be a hindrance.

Before I completely pushed the wardrobe to a close, my attention was caught by the coat at the side. It was Prince Vante’s coat from the night we watched the stars.

I smiled.

“Young miss, were your painting materials delivered to your chambers efficaciously?” my personal assistant queried from the other side of my locked door. I ensured that it was inaccessible.

Because, of course, I didn’t want Gertrude to barge in and witness me try to escape through the window wearing commoner’s apparels after all.

“Yes, thank you, Gertrude.” I hastily replied, all while squeezing myself, my satchel of art supplies, and my weapon, Aculeus, out the frame.

Despite being old, her ears had impeccable hearing. “Do you want me to help you with anything else? You sound like you are having difficulty with… whatever it is you’re doing.”

“Oh,” I wheezed forced laughter, “worry not, for I have everything u-under control—”

With that being said, I accidentally shifted my whole weight onto my supporting arm earlier than intended, and soon I was plummeting to the ground, not even given a chance to finish my statement.

I closed my eyes and felt my body crash.

“Oww…” I groaned, “So much for everything under control.”

I expected to hold onto rocks or anything hard once I attempted to stand, but strangely I groped something soft, something warm.

Confused, I looked down and discovered myself landing on top of the one and only prince who would wear commoner clothing regardless of possessing royal blood.

“Oh, Vante,” I awkwardly chuckled, “fancy meeting you here.”

“Get off me and stop squishing my face.”

I flimsily stood up with trembling legs, slapping the dirt on my outfit away. Shortly, he followed, checking for any cuts of fabric or of skin. Relief washed over me a little while because, excluding the fact that he got a bit filthy, he was fine.

We stared at each other, not sure of what to say.

“I’m experiencing bizarre deja vu right now.” I stated, crossing my arms.

This got the ends of his lips to curve. “Well, back then it was me who fell onto you when I jumped from the balcony above. Perhaps the deities wanted me to experience what it felt to be a human cushion. I haven’t given you a proper apology.”

I shrugged, grinning. “A healthy dose of karma, I guess.”

“What does karma mean?”

“Uh...”

“That answer can wait,” he shushed me, eyeing me from head to toe, “Were you planning on leaving the palace without me?”

My mouth was sealed. I wanted to deny him, yet I was aware that it’ll just result to me admitting he was correct.