Chapter 36: The Way You Play the Piano

You know, you could stay if you want.

When Prince Eugene said those words, the world before me had become a blur. The memories I made, the sights I saw, the people I met, and even the food I ate—every single thing I did here was wondrous.

I could actually imagine myself being a part of this century. I could hang out at Prince Eugene's office and share jokes with him. I could read books of old and learn more about kingdoms with Prince Nathaniel. I could serve as Prince Jacob's most trusted marksman and let my arrows soar. I could paint to my heart's content at Prince Jacque's atelier. I could have more village trips with Prince Vante.

I could keep annoying the hell out of Prince Agustus and maybe hear more of his laughs. And...I could even spend more moments with the mysterious Prince Tayden.

After the Revolution is over, after all my worries disappear, maybe I can stay.

But then it hit me.

Khaleesi Dulcina Ermengard.

This life was originally hers. She was supposed to be one starting a brand new journey as a painter for the Grand palace. She was supposed to be the one experiencing all the things that I experienced.

I took it all away from her.

We may share the same reincarnating soul, and she may be my past self, but then again, our bodies belonged to different timelines. She doesn't have a birthmark on her chest while I have mine. She belonged here in the 18th century just as how I belonged there in the 21st.

Thus, I have to go back to where I truly belong.

Besides, isn't it what I wanted? To go back?

Then why does it have to hurt me this bad?

"I'm sorry, Eugene." I murmured to the rose bushes. "What did you really wish to tell me?"

The Heir had already left a while ago, so I delivered my message to the flowers instead. Maybe they can express my guilt for him someday...

Someday when I'm not around to be there for him anymore.

I was about to head back to my room when I suddenly overheard a few servants talking amongst themselves

I was about to head back to my room when I suddenly overheard a few servants talking amongst themselves. Being the curious person that I am, I tiptoed closer to where their group had huddled.

"I am very fortunate to work here in the palace!" a maid quietly gushed to her friends, and they automatically nodded in agreement.

"Truly!" another swung her duster high up. "We get to see the handsome princes who are hidden from the public! My sisters at home are quite jealous of my privilege!"

They all squealed in low volume.

"Prince Charming is inside the next part of building as we speak!"