Chapter 24: The Grand Escape

"Please forgive me, Your Majesty," I bowed so low that I felt my spine was about to break, "I failed to fulfill my duties."

However strict he may seem, King Eldred gestured for me to sit down, shaking his head as his gems sparkled under the glorious chandelier that lit up the dining room.

"Do not fret, Miss Rosette," he warmly chuckled, as to how a father would to his daughter, making it hard for me to believe that the robe and the crown and all the rings on his fingers came from the riches he stole, from his people, "masterpieces do take time. You should eat dinner. Rest assured."

He walked away and I bowed once more. "Thank you so much, my king."

When he left, I found the safety to breathe.

Yes, it might be rude in the 18th century, but 21st century me didn't bother anymore and proceeded to squish my face against the imperial table. Chefs and servants smoothly glided across the area, decorating the top with mouthwatering platters of food. My stomach grumbled.

"Enjoy your dinner, young miss." They all curtsied and exited to the kitchen.

I smiled, but it quickly wavered. "Looks like I'll be eating alone as usual."

"Am I too late then?" a voice interjected, having me practically jump in my seat.

I whipped my head to the source, only to meet Prince Jacque's eyes that twinkled like tiny specks of fireworks.

"Jacque!" I happily beamed.

My chair was at the edge, so he sat at my right, which was, aside from the left, the closest to mine.

"I always avoided eating in this place because I assumed my brothers wouldn't want to dine with somebody like me around," he mentioned, pausing as soon as he perceived the frown written on my features, "but since you're here, I shall accompany you so both of us wouldn't be lonely."

I released a flabbergasted exhale. "I don't deserve you."

"True," he showed his bunny teeth, "you deserve someone better."

He was too kind. I shook my head, sniffling back tears.

"Hey, you cry a lot." Prince Jacque chuckled. "If I were you, I would not want puffy eyes disturbing me tomorrow."

The spoon that was supposed to go in my mouth stopped midway. I stared at him, perplexed. "Tomorrow?"

He nodded patiently, motioning for me to continue eating so I did. "Tomorrow is the last day of the month, which means it's when we ride our carriage downhill, to have a round along the village of our kingdom."

I quaffed down my drink in a hurry.

"Wait, what?"

Our family's carriage visits the village once in a month. I believe the event this month will be in a few weeks. You can acquire your knowledge when that time arrives. I remembered Prince Vante did say that to me before.

Why am I suddenly feeling nervous?

Third Person's POV

Tomorrow came faster than what Rosette had expected.

The event was, although treated like an honor, seemed distant and empty. Modest crowns laid on each of their heads, for this was an exceptional episode of principle.

An activity that was done every month must mean that the princes already went through this many times before, but the desolation seen on their expressions told her a message—they weren't interested at all.