Chapter 12: The Black Hood

Moonlight peered from the tall glass windows, revealing a panoramic view of the starry evening sky. I couldn't help but watch as the clouds peeled off into two. It reminded me of Queen Isabella parting from her two beloved sons.

Why must we be taken away from the people we cherish the most?

I glanced at the young man beside me. Prince Jacque Darryl was silent during the whole walk from the atelier to here in the royal corridors. His head was hung low, and his eyes were strangely blank.

I found it hard to speak. Instead, I tried to busy myself by prescinding towards the golden statues at the side of each window, every single one of them holding up a proud blackbird model whose wings were spread wide.

This family must really like Blackbirds, huh.

All of a sudden, the prince stopped, making me flinch from my place. I stared at him, confused.

Seeing my expression, he softly chuckled, his hand hovering above his mouth.

"What's so funny?" I blinked, my mind trying to process the abrupt change of atmosphere.

He crossed his arms as he shifted from one leg to another, his thumb coolly pointing to the door at the side. "I believe this is your room, Rosette."

"Oh, right." I lightly slapped my cheeks, earning the prince's bunny-like grin. Gosh, of all times to act foolish, why now?

Well, at least I made him laugh.

We both stood by the door frame, both waiting for the other to make a sound. It lasted for a few seconds before I decided to cease the heavy silence.

I decided to speak up, breaking the sound of nothingness beyond the walls of the palace.

"Thank you for telling me, Jacque. It must've been very difficult to share."

He smiled, small dimples appearing on the corners of his lips. Slowly, his arms were gently wrapped around me. His chin nestled on top of my head. I almost forgot to breathe.

"No, thank you for listening, Rosette. You have helped me ease the burden."

I placed my hands behind his back, my ears against his chest to hear his heart beating in a rapid rhythm. I wonder why it was pulsating like this.

We remained in that position until he finally chose to pull himself away as if doing so would prevent him from proceeding any further.

I was about to turn the knob and enter my bedchamber when I noticed the prince wasn't moving from his spot. He continued to stare at me, his brows nervously furrowed.

Wait, was there another secret?

Was there something else he didn't tell me?

I looked at him, attempting to avoid making my pitch too curious. "Jacque, perhaps you still have something else to say?"

He pursed his lips, his hands balled to a fist. "Nothing. Goodnight, Rosette."

I blinked at him once again, clearly not convinced. "Okay? Goodnight, Jacque."

With that, the prince walked away, leaving me to ponder about what he could've said if he didn't hesitate.

You know what? I'll just sleep and think about this tomorrow morning.