Chapter 40: The Thorns of a Rose

I was burning.

I was burning with all their scorching stares, burning at every passing second. I was lit aflame by guilt and dread, tempted to shrivel like a used up candlewick. I can't deny that I simply wanted to manipulate them in the beginning, so I deserved to burn for my lies.

It hurts. It hurts so much to burn within this overlong silence.

Prince Eugene Brancen didn't speak for a while to let the information sink in. I stood beside his chair, proving to them that what their eldest said was true, that I was indeed his spy, that I...was ultimately unfair.

No one opened their mouths.

Until Prince Nathaniel James did.

"AHA!" He stood up and pointed at me, proud of himself. "I figured she was a spy!"

"Nathan, sit down." The Heir ordered.

"My apologies."

As fast as he stole the spotlight from me, the fourth-born obediently returned to his seat.

His ears became beet red.

That...

That was funny.

He brightened up my mood for a bit. Though it probably wasn't his intention to, nevertheless, I was grateful. The air didn't suffocate me that much anymore.

"Everyone must have full attention on what she has to say." Prince Eugene told them with authority in his voice. "This is for your own good. You will be bewildered by her story so listen carefully."

"Oh, there are more surprises." Prince Tayden Pharrell scathingly responded, his expression dark.

I knew he'd be the most affected.

A lump was forming in my throat. I didn't want things to turn out this way either, Tayden.

I felt a gentle hand slowly encourage me from behind, pulling me back to reality.

"Go ahead. I'll be here to support you." The Heir looked up at me with a warm smile.

I nodded timidly. 

"I am Khaleesi Dulcina Ermengard's next life—Briar Rosette of the 21st century."

Like what I had expected, their eyes went wide. They were frozen in their seats. To be told that a girl you became close with was actually not who you thought she was... I can imagine the headache, the predicament of choosing which shocking fact about me was worse.

"First a spy, now a time-traveler," Prince Vante Osburne cocked his head to the side and let out an astounded scoff, "I can't believe this."

"You're...from the future...?" the youngest blinked profusely, gaping at me like I was somebody else entirely. "This is too much information to process in one day."

"Nathaniel, you seem rather calm." Prince Jacob Erhart glimpsed at his brother next to him, his brow raised with suspicion. I get it. In situations like this, Spectacles would be the one among the seven to be jumping around and pointing fingers.

The fourth-born reclined against his chair, sending me signals with his eyes. I got you covered. I can almost hear him say.

"Well, she isn't stuttering, is she?" he coolly expressed.

"What does stuttering have to do with...oh."

Prince Agustus hummed in response, eventually convinced. "True. She does stutter when she lies. And you know that best. Am I right, Tayden?"