Chapter 38: The Round Table and Her Truth

Rosette was walking along the corridor when she perceived a tuft of pink hair peek out a turning point. She grinned mischievously and hopped towards the person.

"Heya, Eugene!" she cheeped, tapping his shoulder.

The Heir turned around and smiled politely. "Greetings, Rosette. What does heya mean? Is it a developed version of hey?"

She nodded enthusiastically. "It means hey, hello, hi, and it's pretty popular in our century—"

The maiden froze. Behind the Heir was the very man she didn't want to see until the ends of the earth. It was no one else other than Prince Agustus Dane with a busted bottom lip. Instinctively, she threw a hand to her mouth to cover hers.

"—century of t-the 18th a-and the Duvians! That's all I came here to say! Bye!"

She skedaddled away, clumsily tripping on nothing in particular.

Prince Eugene Brancen observed her leave in a hurry, sighing as he gave his brother a side-glance. "You guys are still avoiding one another? It's been days!"

"It is her avoiding me." The second-born said to his defense, now standing next to the Heir. Obviously, the first-born wasn't convinced, but instead of nagging, he chose to change the topic.

"Did you do what I told you to do yet?" he crossed his arms and brought up the memory of their talk on the veranda a few days ago.

"I..." Prince Agustus shyly scratched his raven-black hair. "I will do it today then."

"And he says the maiden is the only one doing all the avoiding." Prince Eugene cheekily beamed. "Go. Go and look at the roses."

So the second-born, although reluctant, followed orders and went out.

Prince Tayden Pharrell had successfully returned from his mission. He waited behind the bulky trunk of a tree at the Royal Gardens, a bunch of flowers in his clutches.

The maiden, completely oblivious, stepped into the area of the maze-like stone walls as she searched for him. The instant she passed by his hiding spot, he jumped out and grabbed her by the waist. He didn't give her the chance to scream and dragged both of them to the ground.

Without another second to waste, he quickly scooted to her side and had his elbow support his body as he nestled his chin to his palm. He then scattered the petals all over her long hair that reminded him of golden threads settling on the soft grass.

She was quiet for a while. The prince saw her chest rise and fall in a steady loop.

"Sorry, did I scare you?" he worriedly asked.

Yet Rosette only released a little laugh, much to his relief. "I could've shot you with my arrow, you know."

"How bold," he remarked, eyeing her up and down with a smile, regarding the petals on her hair and her lacey white dress, "and beautiful."