Chapter 15: The Silent Wonders

Although the luxurious baths of the Grand Palace helped ease the tension of my muscles, it didn't do much about my anxieties of the time limit that was pressed upon me. I have already taken up a few days of the month and yet I still don't have enough strings to connect all these mysteries revolving the kingdom.

I have to step up my game.

With a fresh determination to figure out more clues and finish the tasks I've assigned to myself, I climbed out of the enormous hot tub, though I honestly think that it would be more appropriate to call it a pool based on the size alone.

It was a bit difficult knowing which way to go in this area due to the moist steam surrounding the vicinity. I wrapped my towel around my body and attempted to see through the mist.

"Who are you?" a voice from a short distance called out, making me almost jump in surprise. When I peered long enough, I perceived a figure sitting in the other tub.

Can't I at least take a bath in peace?!

I remained quiet, standing still and cautious. The voice, if I heard correctly, belonged to a man. Since I didn't respond, he sighed. "Show yourself. This is an order from the Heir to the Throne."

I couldn't stop myself from squeaking, "Prince Eugene?!"

"Miss Rosette?!" the shocked pitch echoed along the walls from the other side.

As if it were planned, the steam drifted away and soon we appeared in each other's view.

I shrieked. He shrieked back.

It was a good thing that this particular room is closed off from the rest and is completely soundproof. Otherwise, soldiers would probably run inside to check on the Heir and I would've been sent to the dungeons.

Prince Eugene Brancen panicked and somehow ended up slamming his face into the water. He rotated in his sitting position and looked at another direction, blushing profusely. "What are you doing in the men's bath?!"

This was the men's bath?!

"Wait, what?! I didn't know!" I immediately responded, hoping he doesn't see me in a new light.

There was a perturbed minute of silence.

Finally, he spoke again, "I understand that you know nothing of this century, Miss Rosette. You must've been confused."

I'm glad there's someone I can share my burdens with.

"Thank you for your consideration, Your Highness." I managed to utter.

"However fortunate you are today, you need to be more careful next time," he added, brushing his fingers against the edge of the tub, "if it were my brothers here in my place, I'm not sure what they would do to you."

A shiver crept up my spine despite the sweat dripping down my cheek, "Noted."

"I know this may sound indecent," he mumbled, his ears beet red, "but would you do me a favor and lock the doors?"

"W-Wha—"

"Ugh, that really did sound indecent." Prince Eugene slapped his forehead in frustration, clearly directed at himself. "What I meant was that my schedule is too hectic today and so I figured that you'd report to me here instead. We don't want anyone barging in and expose ourselves."

"Right," I replied, trying not to show my flushed face and quickly sealed the entrance.

"I would be willing to do it myself but I'm currently not wearing anything underneath the water."