Chapter 46: The Lady and the Letter

It was already a day and a half when Mona had arrived at her destination posterior to setting off last night. Fortunately, for someone starting at the outskirts of Grand, the trip took a shorter period of time. She knew that the letter beneath her bodice was more important than her life, so she rode without breaks like the circulation of hot blood and adrenaline rushing in her veins. It would've taken more than three days if she had naps along the way after all.

And it would be too late by then.

Because of her determination, she made it past the valleys and the fields, now standing in front of the palace gates. She gawked at the dove fountains that decorated the gardens on each side. The walls were coated in a serene white paired with hints of super saturated blue. She could see passing images of busy maids by the building. Suddenly, she was reminded that she was nothing but a commoner. She hung her head low, intimidated at the sight of a lavish life.

A guard noticed her and became suspicious of how she was peering through the metal bars. “You! Woman over there! What do you want from the Palace of Duva?”

“I am here to see the Lady.” Mona declared bravely. She remembered the day of her being courageous like this when she blocked the Royal Carriage during a village inspection around two months ago, which was also the day she met her remarkable painter friend and a prince of her own kingdom.

Strange as it sounds, she did it out of fear. It was the fear for the future that pushed her to be brave for the present.

“Did you arrange a meeting?” another guard who stayed close to the gates questioned.

The maiden's eyes widened once she stole a glimpse of their weapons. They were carrying firearms. She heard about these dangerous items from gossips and drunken men ranting at the inns. Mona may not look like it, but she holds a good amount of information about stuff happening outside the borders.

At this age of history, the Kingdom of Encielle had been recently rising in terms of power. It was because they invented new and improved types of firearms that can quickly obliterate their opponents in battle. They must've started trading it with the other kingdoms. The infantry's desire for ancient weapons will gradually vanish and be replaced by these machines.

Change will always be constant, for it is an instrument played by time.

The shipped goods have already arrived here in Duva, but why is Grand not getting any of it yet? She wondered, feeling odd. It would be reasonable that the Ciels gave it upon Lady Audeath's knowledge... Wait, does that mean the Lady didn't share it with the Grandees on purpose?

Suddenly, she apprehended the reason, an invisible light bulb popping up above her head that made her clap.

Ah, because King Eldred might abuse it.

The Crown Prince might have been willingly volunteering instead of his father for business meetings, which could mean that he was aware of these weapons, kept it secret from the king, and told the Lady to store them safe—until he sends a signal.

And the letter might be the very signal that the Lady is waiting for.

There's no other explanation. It made complete sense.

This sparked a profound resolve within Mona. The Lady will positively help them then! As long as this letter gets to her, she will undoubtedly understand! The Lady must be aware of the king's stupidity!

“Hey, you! Answer us!”

The maiden harked back at them with a sigh. Right, she was still stuck in this situation.