Chapter 34: The Hunting Game

“Can you tell me more about the Hunting Game?”

In a blink, I had come to a realization that we were both walking side by side, shoulders slightly sweeping past each other. The apple in my hand wasn’t bitten even once, and the Royal Gardens never looked so beautiful until this very moment. Everything was coated in splendor as if I wore rose-colored glasses.

Prince Tayden Pharrell gave me a glance. “Jacob did not tell you of it?”

“No,” I shook my head in small motions, “is it perhaps a game wherein you use your weapons and test your skills to successfully hunt?”

“It is somewhat like that.”

“What do you hunt for?”

Strong, warm wind blew leaves away from the branches and carried them close to our faces, making me squint to avoid stinging my eyes. The sound of them flying by was a roar to my ears.

After it had passed, our surroundings were back to their usual peace.

Then he finally answered. “We hunt for one another.”

“Oh.” I could only say with a hard swallow.

We kept moving forward.

“Are you scared?” he asked, cocking his head to the left as he eyed me carefully.

I heard the water gurgle from the large fountain at the center of this enormous gathering of gardens. Instead of a fish, an intricately carved statue of a bird made of black granite spouted liquid out from its beak. Also, if it were possibly an old music fountain, I could’ve sworn there were faint airy noises similar to an actual bird.

I encountered this fountain before, yet I didn’t get the chance to notice its details when Prince Agustus had rescued me from the Black Hood. I can still feel his feline-like eyes watching me. I shuddered, cringing at how stupid I acted after his help.

“Truthfully, I am,” I replied, snapping back to reality, “but that doesn’t mean I admit defeat without playing the game first.”

This had him smirk. “Brave girl.”

“Not so brave once you know my worst fears.” I waved it off.

“Ah, but I do know your worst fears.” Prince Tayden reminded me, reminded me of that fateful evening memory. “The fact that you try your best to fight these fears defines you honorably, admiringly, and undeniably brave.”

This time, there was no smirk at all. There was only a genuine gaze.

His duality has left me flustered.

No, not only his duality.

His warmth, his smile, his laugh, his tears, his eyes, and how we first met—his existence was already ingrained into my life.

I felt something return like it had been lost. I felt it like a familiar melody, like a nostalgic emotion. I felt it messing with my mind. I felt it rekindle a faded flame. I felt it as I was on the verge of tearing up.

What is happening?

Soon, he was inches away from me. In a heated daze, I stared deep into his dark irises. Our bodies leaned forward. Our tempted breaths collided. Our lips drew closer…and closer…

All of a sudden, the prince grabbed my wrist, lifting my hand that was holding the apple and bringing the fruit in between us. My mouth was pressed against its rind, and so were his onto the opposite side.

“The dusk will be settling shortly.” He feigned a smile, gradually dropping his grip on my hand. “I must go.”

I was dumbstruck. “R-Right, sorry for wasting your time.”