Chapter One: Return of the Alpha

The surface of the ocean was vast and unending. It stretched on for miles and miles, lighting the eyes of young vikings with its soft pearlescent tinge of blue. It wavered, folded, bounced up and down alongside the swirling afternoon gale which carried the salty scent of its watery comrade to the air up above.

Such a beautiful sight to behold often leads one to forget about the melodies of the sea itself, but if you just shut your eyes and listen, you might very well find yourself entrapped with the lapping of the waves and the distance tune akin to that of a young nymph's humble voice.

But of course, beauty would not be complete without life and that life came in the form of a large monstrous beast which leapt up from the water, and roared with enough power to rattle the sky. The dragon's body was flat and speckled with spots of white on its natural blue canvas. It moved so fluently, almost as if it had woven itself into the waves.

However, it was not alone.

To its left, another, almost identical dragon leapt up. Followed by another, and another in a hypnotic cycle.

They were like seams, in the silk of the oceans and they played their part beautifully.

Their thundering roars earned them a suiting name; Thunderdrums, whose powerful bellow harnessed the power of Thor's mighty hammer. Their noise carried up into the sky, where dragons with long slender bodies and breath-takingly giant wings howled back, greeting their friends.

Timberjacks.

All was well, in such a perfect environment of merely water and sky when something out of place appeared.

A low whistling was heard long before this new creature revealed itself as a sleek shadow which flew across the surface of the water. This shadow was faster than the Thunderdrums and Timberjacks' speeds combined that would've undoubtedly been missed had you blinked. It skimmed the surface of the water with its long arched wings and left a parted trail.

Now, if you looked closer, you would soon realise that this was no shadow but another dragon. A dragon whose scales were as dark as night, eyes that were slick and intelligent, and a bright red tail fin to match his black one.

But, he was not alone. On his back was a smaller figure who was draped in dark armour and strange mechanics. The figure turned out to be a young man who wore a mask which only exposed a glimpse of his green eyes and stray pieces of his soft tussled brown hair.

The dragon let out a commanding roar and suddenly, the Thunderdrums were at its sides. They leapt up and down beside him, almost as if they were escorting him.

"Good afternoon, alpha!" their bellows scynchronised.

" 'afternoon, Thunderdrums!"

The young viking only waved at them with a hidden smile before he pat his friend's side lightly.

Then, with a burst of speed, the duo took to the skies. They could feel the warm hug of fluffy clouds which so often greeted them and the feeling of sunlight against their faces gave a rush like no other.

"What d'ya say, bud?"

"Oh no."

"One more time before we reach Berk?!" he yelled against the howl of the wind.

"Oh, nuh uh! Oh no! Hiccup! You are not--" Toothless protested with a warble as he tilted his head back to shoot his rider one of his infamous grumpy looks.

"Oh, c'mon you big baby," Hiccup's muffled voice groaned, as his dragon could visibly picture the viking rolling his eyes, "We're not going to get another chance to do this in a long time!"