Chapter Thirty-Three: The Expedition

The sky was a blinding cerulean, sporting the generic fluffy white clouds as the ocean wavered, rising up and down in perfect rhythm to a perfect day. The dragons exchanged roars as their riders prattled about them, moving bags and crates alike as everyone buzzed with excitement.

Sirena carried a small bag in her arms. It held a few spare changes of clothes, most of which were Ruffnut and Astrid's hand-me-downs. As she ambled past Barf and Belch, she couldn't help but look over at Toothless, who was helping Hiccup carry a heavy bag. At that very moment, he diverted his gaze towards her and they locked eyes. They immediately looked away, blushing. She felt so lightheaded just thinking about everything he said that night.

"I... I have something to tell you."

She remembered how pink his face was, even in the dark.

"It's just, I-I've been feeling... d-different..." he stammered, "A-about... you."

His blush faded away and the look in his eyes shifted. The way he looked at her always left her speechless. They held so much kindness and never stayed the same colour. Sometimes they looked gold, sometimes they looked amber, but she knew their true colour was a startling bright green, one that no one would ever be able to perfectly describe.

He parted his lips, as if at a loss of words before he said...

"Sirena, I... I think..."

He squeezed her fingers a little tighter, and she wondered if he was going to-- No. No, he couldn't possibly...

"I like you. I really like you. A-and I...--"

She thought she felt him lean in--

"Have you talked to him about it?"

She jumped a foot in the air in surprise.

"Where did you come from?!" she shrieked, pointing a scared finger at Astrid.

Ruffnut appeared behind her, snickering loudly.

Sirena let out a staggered breath, realising that okay maybe she'd overreacted just a little... She was so caught up in her daydream that she didn't noticed them approaching her.

"So? Have you?"

"N-no?" she squeaked pathetically.

"What?! But you were so excited after he confessed--"

"SHH!" she hissed like a madwoman, clamping her fingers over their mouths.

Everyone looked over at the three. Sirena let out a strangled whimper before she turned around to smile at them convincingly. The boys eyed her strange behaviour, all with various looks of confusion. They looked at each other and shrugged it off, going back to moving supplies.

The young mermaid uncovered her friends' lips.

"But Sirena, it's been a whole week," Ruff pointed out in a hushed voice.

"I mean, she's right," Astrid added, this time speaking softer, "I thought you and Toothless would've at least had a conversation about it."

"M-me too?" Sirena shrugged awkwardly, before she groaned and looked down, "It was probably nothing. He just said he liked me. Maybe he meant as in friends..."

"What? No way!" Ruff shouted.

"Shh!"

"No way!" Ruff whisper-shouted.

"It's just, we've been so busy packing and he has to help run the village. He's 'King Dragon' after all. We haven't had time to talk."

The mermaid massaged her temple.