Chapter Eight: Building A Tail

The night was still fairly young. Blades of grass danced outside under a velvet blanket of stars alongside the melody of the wind which found its way into window of Hiccup's bedroom.

A pair of tired green eyes which lay wide open seemed to be out of place in the dark room, even against his own dark skin.

"Hiccup..." he purred quietly, a little louder than a whisper.

When he received no reply, he got on all fours and sauntered over to the window and leapt out.

The bottle of dragon nip tonic on Hiccup's bedside table lay empty.

A warm glow from the torch fire lit up the walls of the houses. Deep murmurs from the men were heard. They eventually walked away, in deep conversation and bringing the fire with them.

The area was now left dark.

A shadow unfurled itself, landing on the ground noiselessly.

Toothless heard their voices recede into night draught before moving towards Gobber's shop. Along the way, he heard the snores of vikings and dragons alike, even a few mumbles as they dreamt on.

He slipped into the dark shop, careful not to wake the sleeping Hotburple, and into the doorway.

There was a low hum to the night as he rummaged through the countless boxes and drawers. He withdrew his snout to let out a sneeze from the dust coating everything. No doubt Hiccup would come back to use his workshop to make a new leg and add a few touchups his tail but until then, the quaint room lay completely dust-ridden and forgotten.

A crack between the wall and ceiling let in a luminous ray of moonlight.

Toothless followed the light with his eyes which traveled all the way to the very back of the room. There was a golden glimmer under a ragged sheet which caught his attention. He strut to the back, foot accidentally knocking into a bucket. 

He winced.

He'd never been the most graceful in Gobber's shop.

He didn't hear a single sound, and so proceeded to pick up his pace.

He poked at the the glistening object with his claws and jumped a little when it rolled out. It was a golden gear. With wide eyes and a thudding heart, he ripped off the sheet with his teeth to reveal the broken pieces of his old black prosthetic.

He just knew Hiccup couldn't resist himself and would've picked the broken pieces up and kept them. 

It was hard to not look at it and reminisce the times when he and Hiccup were younger, especially during that particular Snoggletog.

He remembered the sights he'd seen when he'd flown away on his own.

He wondered what it would be like, flying alone again.

Toothless smiled to himself before picking up the pieces in his mouth, careful not to swallow a bolt or gear and made a quick departure.

White bunches of bubbles surrounded the young mermaid as she sat on the rock, hair flowing with the wind. She looked like any artist's fantasy. Perhaps some people would wonder how an abomination like her could hold beauty beyond man's eyes. How something so out of place was the subject of allure to many.

Neither woman nor fish, but the best combination of both.

Sirena sighed as she clutched her arm and winced in pain.