Chapter Three: Chiefing Around

Toothless lay still and unmoving on his warmed stone bed for a long time, but he did not find sleep at all, so he gently lifted his head and glanced out at the window above Hiccup's bed. It gave him a little opening to the outside world which was filled with gorgeous stars and the view of swirling purples, pinks, blues against a blank black canvas.

His head found its way back onto the harsh edges of the rock, as he collapsed in exhaustion but again, he still could not sleep.

For a split second, he wondered if he should curl himself around Hiccup for comfort, but he couldn't bring himself to possibly disrupt his sleep, which had been so scarce ever since he became chief. And for the first time in a year, Hiccup looked like he was dreaming a happy dream as he wore a little dozy smile.

Toothless looked at him contently.

So he looked out into the dark with his large sad eyes and curiously imagined if there were actually other Night Furies soaring through the sky, blending in so well that they would practically be invisible. Then, he closed his eyes and just imagined the loud howling of the oceans waves as the howls of another Night Fury. He wondered if his family was outside flying just out his reach through the little window and he just couldn't see them.

He remembered doing this several times in the past when he was awoken by Stoick's monstrous snoring. By then, Hiccup was already used to it but for some reason, Toothless had a hard time adapting, which was strange considering that dragons were reasonably adaptive creatures.

So he adopted the habit of star-gazing and wondering as his little night hobby, whenever he woke up and heard the rumbles of snores from downstairs.

He used to silently beg for the snoring to go away so he could find peace with his dreams.

Now, he would do anything for it to come back and keep him awake again.

Hiccup woke up the next morning with his hair stuck up in the strangest places. He tiredly rubbed one eye with his hand, yawned and sat up. He saw Toothless looking at him intently. Once he saw that his best friend was finally awake, he stood up, shook his wings, and made his way to his bedside.

"Well, you're awfully quiet today, mister."

His dragon said nothing but propped himself up with his front legs against his bedside and sniffed his hair.

He paused and looked at his fresh young face, before he blew a gust of air at him.

He began laughing when Hiccup coughed at his repulsive fishy breath.

"Oh, eeewww! Ah, ah ha, d-dragon breath. How-- how lovely, bud."

"Good morning to you too," he sniggered.

But the viking's torture was to continue when he felt Toothless' soft slobbery tongue all over his face.

"Toothless! You know that doesn't wash out!"

"Yes, I know it doesn't wash out-- Stay still! I need to fix your hair!"

"Bud-- Get off!"

Once he was done, he sat back on his hind legs and looked at his whining friend's hair. It looked a little stiff but all it took was one sweep of Hiccup's hand and he looked like the handsome young man with flowing locks perfectly in place whom Toothless proudly presented.

"There! Now you don't look like hot mess."

The viking looked rather upset at him. He shot him a deadpanned look with his furrowed brows. He managed to get a handful of saliva off his face and flicked it over at the snickering Night Fury.