Chapter Thirty-Six: Time To Themselves

"Toothless!"

Hiccup almost fell back when the man sprang up from bed. 

Toothless was shaking uncontrollably and sweating in a feverish state. His blankets were now so hot they were suffocating him. He stared, unseeing, as his nightmare replayed in painful flashes. It was so dark and cold. He remembered torrents of bubbles flew to his face as her body writhed in the water.

And then she was dead.

Dead, dead, dead, dead--

He flinched as a bright light filled the room.

Eret held the candleholder by the tips of his fingers, watching as it dimmed to a golden glow. He frowned at the Night Fury in concern as the light settled on his features.

"Are you alright, lad?" he asked softly.

Toothless barred his teeth at the sight of the fire, not liking it the slightest. He let out a low growl, cowering near the base of the tent.

His eyes flashed a dangerous yellow, darting around the room in agitation. His irises reflected the flame the glowed bright in the room and the fear they held was evident.

"Toothless, please," Hiccup begged, "I just want to help."

His breath hastened.

Hiccup held out his hand to him.

Toothless winced until slowly, he began to lift his head. As he held his breath, he gazed at Hiccup's palm, noticing just how much his best friend had grown since he was fifteen.

"I'm right here, bud! You don't have to be afraid..." 

He could feel his heart thudding slower and slower as he began to relax. He felt an uncomfortable tingle run up and down his spine, sending chills across his skin. His blood pumped slower in his veins, as a depression began to set over him.

It was as if he was suspended in the pitch black ocean all over again. There was desperation ripping at his heart as he clawed and clawed at the waters, just trying to get to her.

A pain shot through his chest and he screamed in agony.

"Toothless!"

Her eyes stared at him unseeing, so glossy and grey; the most haunting image he'd seen in his life.

He pushed Hiccup out of the way as he bolted for the door.

Eret caught his chieftain moments before he hit the ground.

"Toothless! Come back!"

But he didn't.

The Night Fury tumbled into the open, standing on damp grass which rose to his ankles and no higher. They bore the aroma of the earth and as the wind swept by, chilling him to the bone, he felt his senses heighten until they spun out of control.

The ringing in his ear was defeating, bringing him to his knees. 

He was in so much pain, but he needed to find her.

And as her name ran through his mind, he let his instincts take control.

He closed his eyes. Night's breeze blew his way, carrying the fragrance of wood and leaves, yet laced between its harsh smell was the scent of the ocean, alluring as ever. It was her scent. His eyes flashed open and he went mad. Toothless bounded across the campsite on all fours, tearing through the dirt because oh god, he had to find her before it was too late.

The four woman slept peacefully in their tent, snuggled up inside their warm sheets. Ruffnut was even snoring quietly as her helmet lay over her eyes. Astrid tossed to one side sleepily, cuddling her blanket as if it were a person.