Chapter Thirty-Five: Sirena Lost

Hiccup fought against everyone and everything that tried to hold him back from falling after his best friend. He didn't care who he hit or how much it hurt. He couldn't focus on the tears that streamed down his face or how each gut-wrenching cry from him sliced his throat. The only paralysed thought he had was that Toothless was gone... Gone.

"TOOTHLESS!"

"Sirena!-- No, DON'T!"

"Lass!"

She broke free from Ruffnut's hold and threw herself off the cliff.

"SIRENA!" Ruff shrieked in terror.

"Stormfly, fetch!" Astrid ordered in a panic but her dragon was already way ahead of her.

She continued to restrain Hiccup as the Deadly Nadder sped after Sirena but the mermaid had a head-start. The cold wind hissed against her ears as she crashed into the ocean in a nosedive.

She didn't bother resurfacing for air, not caring how the water stung her eyes as she looked all around her. At last she spotted Toothless as he descended rapidly, floating further and further away. A trail of bubbles left his white lips and she dove to save him.

She kicked her legs, not used to viking swimming but so desperate to save him that she made it work. Sirena reached out for him, trying to reach for his hand but he was sinking so quickly.

He was so faraway and she was running out of air.

And yet her love for him was what stopped her from resurfacing.

At long last, the mermaid grabbed onto his hand with hers, feeling traces of lingering warmth laced between his fingers as she tried to save him from the wrath of her home. Her despair was replaced with hope as she wrapped her arm around his chest and kicked as hard as she could, trying to swim up. Her legs flicked up and down but the man was extremely heavy to keep up.

Yet as the light of day started to look brighter, she willed herself with all her might to hold on a little longer.

Her lungs ached as the last trail of air escaped her lips in oblong bubbles.

Red and black splotches danced in front of her eyes, taunting her and she knew nought whether she was or wasn't still awake. Every cell in her body screamed for oxygen as she convulsed, urgent for air. It was the most painful thing she'd ever experienced; drowning.

But she had to save him.

She didn't want Toothless to die.

She couldn't bear the thought of him actually...

Now, there were no dancing splotches. Her thoughts began to fade to black when suddenly--

Stormfly dove in, her keen yellow eyes reminding Sirena so much of when Toothless was a dragon. The Nadder grabbed onto his shoulder while the mermaid held on and together, they were pulled out of the ocean, sending flecks of jewel-like droplets flying everywhere.

The dragon soared to the nearest beachside, gently dropping both humans on dry land.

Sirena took a painful breath, coughing out seawater from her throat and nostrils as she breathed in unsteadily. And despite the agony, she used the air she breathed in to call out his name, pleading, begging for him to wake up.

Had it not been for his deathlike pallor, she would've merely assumed he was asleep but his lips were shockingly white.

"T-Too--Toothl-less! Wake- up! P-please! Wake up!"