Chapter Ten: Armourous Idea

Hiccup tossed and turned in his sleep before jolting awake, sunlight pouring through the window. He sat upright with wide eyes and immediately looked to the stone bed, expecting it to be empty but was surprised with a pair of glowing eyes staring at him calmly.

"Morning, bud."

The viking chief blinked as his dragon sauntered to his bedside and placed two paws on his side.

"E-eww! Toothless! Toothless, no!"

"What would you be without me, Hiccup? Your hair's awful! Just look at it!"

And honestly, it did. His brown locks were strewn and tangled all over from his uncomfortable night of rest. They flicked up and down in all the wrong places and looked dull and like a wild Nightmare made a nest in it.

He left a long lick on his hair, as disgusting as it sounded but all it took was one swipe from his paw for Hiccup to look like less of a mess.

"Toothless! You know that doesn't wash out!"

The dragon scoffed.

"That's the point."

Hiccup grumbled and shook his head, hair now falling into place perfectly.

"There you go! And--"

He was greeted by specks of his own slobber aimed at his face.

"Mature. Real mature you inconsiderate whiny little--"

"C'mon bud," he said and subconsciously pet his head, "Today's the day we test out your new tail."

Toothless did a double take, wide eyes staring at his best friend with a guilty toothless grin.

"...Uh, yeah about that..."

"GOBBER!"

"Eh?! What the-- Hiccup?! What're yeh doing here?!"

The old viking whipped around, accidentally flinging the small hammer he was holding out the window. They heard what sounded like a Terrible Terror screech in terror from outside.

"Gobber!" Hiccup panted tiredly, "Have you seen Toothless' tail fin?"

"His wha..."

"I left it in my workshop yesterday a-and it's gone! The-the saddle and everything else is intact but the fin is gone!"

"Calm down, Hiccup! Yeh' look like you just ran across half the island!"

"I-... I'm sorry. B-but have you seen it?"

"No, boy. I was just fixing up my own saddle. D'you reckon someone stole it?"

"I... I can't see why anyone w-would! What could anyone possibly want with it?"

"Maybe someone's trying to stop you from flying," Gobber hinted mysteriously.

Toothless snorted at the comment as he stepped forward but tripped on a bucket which he growled at unhappily.

"Careful now, dragon," Gobber rumbled.

Hiccup sighed and ruffled his hair.

"I'll look into it, G-Gobber... Thank you," he beckoned an arm at Toothless, "C'mon, bud."

"Have a nice day, chief!"

"Y-you too, Gobber..."

Gobber watched the two leave out of the corner of his eye as he worked on busily. He reached out for his hammer but remembered that it'd been cast out the window carelessly.