Chapter Thirty: Dragon Racing

Toothless steadily made his way round the winded tunnels, absentmindedly running his hand along the rocky walls which boasted pictures painted by Berk's youngest artists. His metal leg clicked against the stone ground and the sound it created echoed across the cave in a chilling manner. It wasn't long before he reached the end. Just as his eyes adjusted to the sudden change in light, he began looking around the brightly decorated cave.

The stables were silent, with the exception of the few dragon snores which came in the form of light squawks and warbles. Rays of morning sunlight poured in through the sun roof, illuminating the whole room with a bright warmth. The longer Toothless looked on, the more he realised that the stables looked like an underground village filled with dragons of every size and species.

The green Hangar opposite him, the one leading to the ocean, was wide open, so he could hear the purr of the gushing waves coming from the harbour. It felt strangely calming. In fact, everything around him felt tranquil, seeing the peaceful figures of his fellow dragons probably dreaming in a safe slumber. It made him smile.

He walked down the earthen stairs, stepping past a mother Gronckle and her children as carefully as possible so as to not trod on any tails.

The smallest hatchling lay on its back and its legs were waving furiously at the air, as if it were running upside down. Its little face was scrunched up and Toothless had to stifle a deep chuckle. He found the sight so adorable.

He shook his head with a smile and looked around.

His eyes landed on the sole stable located in a corner, painted bright red and decorated with wood sawed into the shapes of flames. He took a deep breath and strolled towards it.

Toothless leaned against the wooden gates, which barely rose past his knees, and peered in on the giant sleeping Nightmare who was surrounded by small piles of golden hay. His chest rose up and down as trails of smoke blew from his nostrils.

The former Night Fury hopped inside the stable, landing on a pile of soft hay which crunched under his weight. The Monstrous Nightmare's eyes flashed open at the noise and he sat up sleepily, having been unwillingly woken up.

Hookfang yawned and was in the process of shaking himself off when he caught sight of the young man standing awkwardly in front of him.

"O-Oh... Whoops..."

The red dragon snorted at him.

"S-sorry, Hookfang..."

Hookfang rolled his eyes and curled up into a ball, desperate to squeeze in a few extra seconds of sleep.

Toothless took a deep breath and knew he had a lot of convincing to do. So, he put on his best smile and leaned against the walls like he'd see Snotlout do sometimes.

"Yeah, it's a really nice day out today, don'cha think?"

The Nightmare sat up, looking like he wanted to personally strangle Toothless to death.

"I-I uh... You look really good, man! U-uh, did you do something new with the horns?" 

Toothless tried his best to come off as calm and collected as possible, smiling crookedly with a hand dug into his pocket when in reality, he had as much suavity as a teaspoon.

Hookfang crossed his talons, deciding to entertain himself by watching his Alpha make a complete fool out of himself. His lips curled into a fanged smirk as he drummed his claws on the stone floor.

"I uh... I brought you breakfast?" he said and produced a large fish from behind him, "Yeah, you like it? Fresh Icelandic Cod (that I totally didn't nab from Mulch and Bucket)!"