Chapter Five: A Favour and Her Dream

Hiccup stared at the wooden peg which was attached to leg with a raised brow. He wasn't very impressed, to say the least. The dinky thing wasn't very complex and was chipped in several spots. He wouldn't be surprised if he got a splinter or fifty from it, if he even dared to touched it.

"There ya' go, boy O'!" Gobber said cheerfully, "Matchin' peg legs, would ya' look at that!"

He showed off his own peg leg as he stomped on the ground, causing a pile of dust to rise and fall gently.

Toothless sat in the corner beside Grump the Hotburple who was once again fast asleep. In fact, the alpha suspected that he hadn't even woken up since the last time they'd visited the blacksmith's. He'd prodded at his friend who didn't even budge.

"Oh, Grump," Gobber said with a 'tsk', "Get up, ya' lazy old..."

The older viking softly nudged his dragon who opened his beady eyes.

"Oh, good morning, Alpha," Grump yawned, "When did ya' get here?"

"It's uh, actually afternoon, Grump," Toothless corrected, "And I've been sitting here for a while now."

"That's nice."

He fell asleep again.

Toothless didn't see any reason to wake him up, and so carefully picked himself up and sauntered to Hiccup who ran a hand across his back. He wasn't wearing his saddle, and for once could let the scales on his back air out. 

"Don't worry, bud. Gobber and I'll get your tail fixed. And I have to make a new leg."

He let out a groan.

"Looks like we won't be able to fly for awhile."

"Hooray," he muttered with a tone devoid of emotion.

"Look on the bright side, you two," Gobber said gruffly before smiling kindly at them, "You'll be helping old Gobber here fix a few saddles and dragon teeth! Just like old times."

He then narrowed his bluish grey eyes at the Night Fury, who blinked in hesitation.

"Which reminds me. I don't remember the last time you brought Toothless over for a checkup, chief."

Toothless' eyes widened in fear. He instinctively retracted his teeth and flashed the two vikings a gummy smile and wagged his tail.

"Very funny, Night Fury."

Hiccup laughed in amusement. 

"C'mon, bud. Let's get to work."

"Okay..."

When the day was finally starting to darken and the sky had turned from pink to purple, Hiccup and Toothless began to trudge back to their home from Gobber's, only stopping once to help one of the smaller dragons which had gotten himself stuck in a barrel. The man opened to door and was greeted with silence. He stared at the large chair where his father once sat, always cursing over a stack of paperwork.

He stepped inside and heard the creak of the floorboard under his peg leg. He sat down carefully in his fathers chair and rested the side of his fast against his fist, which he propped up on the table.

Toothless glanced at the empty fire pit and fired at it, illuminating the room with a warm glow.

"Thanks, bud."

"Welcome."

He curled his large body near the fire for warmth and listened to the scratch of charcoal on parchment. It would stop every now and then as Hiccup would glance at another piece of paper before mumbling something to himself.