Chapter 5

Rodrick's P. O. V.

Man, I couldn't believe that Mom forgot about me. Was I even born then? I turned to my parents and glared at them, demanding an explanation.

"Um, Rodrick, your birth heritage...is complicated. It's going to be a really big blow to you, are you sure you want to hear it?" Dad cautioned and I nodded my head fervently. I'll do anything to find out my "mysterious birth heritage".

"You really want to brace yourself," Dad warned one last time," If you really want to know, you're adopted."
<___________________________________>

Woah.

Woah.

Woahhhhhh.

So that was it. I'm adopted. My family is just a bunch of strangers.

Great. Juuuuuuuust great. I allowed myself to stone one more minute before dishing out a question to them.

"So, we're not related."

"Actually, you are." Mom said. Both Greg and my eyes widened in shock. How was it possible that I was still related to them although I was adopted?

"Rodrick, I may seem a bit selfish saying this but can we talk about this another day? We had a long talk and you boys must be in shock." Mom suggested, but I immediately objected.

"No, Mom. It's alright. I can handle it, if you don't tell me now I'll never rest till I find out the truth." I argued. Mom noticed the glint in my eyes, and continued yet another long story.

"Your birth parents, Rodrick, had a complicated blood relationship with Frank's family. Your birth parents, were blood cousins with your father, so they were not related by marriage. One day, your father, the boss of a construction firm, went to supervise the construction of a building, and a... freak accident occurred, he was killed." Mom whispered, her voice not strong enough to say out all these terrible things.

I started heaving, and all of a sudden I felt a wave of nausea hit my stomach. I tried closing my eyes and taking deep breaths, but I could not stop hyperventilating. In fact, it just got worse. Mom, sensing danger, grabbed a plastic bag and thrusted it into my hands, just in time for me to pour out the contents of my breakfast.

"Man. That sucked." I groaned. Dad immediately rushed to my side, checking to see if I was alright.

"Rodrick, you need to rest. You have had enough for today. Even if you want to know more about your heritage, it will have to wait, we shouldn't have told you so much at once. I'm sorry." Mom said sternly, but softened her she apologized. I waved a hand at her, indicating that it was alright. I stood up and announced :"I'm going to sleep."

Later that evening when the Heffleys are having dinner...

Greg's P. O. V.

I have to say, good food is the best remedy for a nasty shock. We're having smoked beef lasagna and it tasted extra lovely, and everything that happened this morning was slightly easier for me to accept.

I still can't believe that I'm an older brother to Manny and my sister, and that I am part Chinese. Speaking of Manny, does he know about this though? Poor boy must be in for a shock.

Clink! Clink! Clink! The sound of clinking china jolted me out of my reveries. I looked up at the source of the sound and my hear sank. It was Mom, and she probably wants another one of those family meetings.

"Members of the Heffley family, I have an announcement to make, to clear up with the talk I had with Greg and Rodrick." Mom declared. Manny started talking happily, " I have a older seester!" (he mispronounced sister and used 'a' wrongly)

Rodrick and I looked at Manny in disbelief. Manny knows about this?!!

"Wait...what? How does Manny know?" I asked.

"I had to tell Manny beforehand so that he will be as prepared as you boys. You know, with his age he may not cope as well." Mom replied nonchalantly as if it was no big deal. I faceplamed internally, Mom sure knows a great deal about parenting.

"Moving on, I was going to say that Charlotte will be coming to stay with us in two days time! Are you boys excited?" Mom declared, a hopeful grin plastered on her face, but all she got was two dumbstruck adolescents and a hyper toddler.

A/N
That's was one long chapter eh? I didn't get any response on how Rodrick is related to the Heffleys so no shout outs for now :(