Sneak peek + Chapter 20

(This is a sneak peek of the next chapter and the actual chapter will continue with the following. Actual chapter publish date: 4 June 2019)

Charlotte's P. O. V.

"Mm, these are sure good!" I sighed in pure satisfaction as my teeth sank into another fry. Who knew avocado fries could be this good?

"Charlotte, you look like you're in an alternate universe," Angelina joked. I nodded, telling her that I was in the midst of an avocado rush. Baking helps your soul, but eating certainly does more.

As Holly, Angelina and I finished our fries, I brought the dishes to Mrs Hills, who thanked us and dealt with them.

"Wanna start on hide and seek, or play some games first?" Holly asked.

"Duh! It's hide and seek," Angelina said rolling her eyes. After a round of rock paper scissors, Angelina was the seeker.

"Angelina you count to twenty and the boundaries is the first floor!" Holly said.

"One, two, three..." Angelina hollered and we wasted no time is finding a hiding spot in Holly's house. It was even more challenging when it was a new place. I scrambled around the living room, trying to find a shady spot that could fit me, but they were either too dusty or small.

Sighing in frustration, I shook my head and moved to another location. By then, Holly was nowhere in sight and Angelina had already counted to twenty. This was when my anxiety of being caught kicked in. I rushed out of the living room and went into what seemed like a study room. I turned my head around, trying to locate a hiding place among the bookshelves and drawers.

My eyes turned to a cosy, hidden spot under a table with drawers beside it, making it a better place to hide. Gingerly, I pushed the chair out so that I could get in and then pushing it back to its original position. Curling myself into a ball, I held my breath as I waited in anticipation.

To be continued...

Angelina's P. O. V.

"I'm coming!" I yelled, rushing off to the living room behind me.

My first target: the sofa. Creeping up stealthily in my socks towards it, I took a peek behind it. Nope. I pranced around the living room, my hand on my head like a monkey searching for bananas, trying to spot any blond or dark brown hair. Not here. Sighing, I moved on.

Prying the pantry door open carefully, I stepped into what meagre space there was. Damn, the Hills sure know how to stock up! There were at least 10 packets of oats, along with some canned fruits and snacks among which, packets of Laffy Taffy was one of them. Not that I was getting greedy or anything. Snapping my concentration back to my task, I whacked some packets and bags to ensure no living thing was there and then headed out.

Yip! I spun around and saw something moving. Ha! One of them must be there, I thought, delighted. Stepping forward to catch them red handed.

Squish. Yip! Something furry and soft came into contact with my foot. I retracted in horror. Holy cow it's a rat!

"AHH! MRS HILLS HELP!" I yelled, throwing my hands up, hopping backwards in horror. How could I have mistaken a rat's squeak for Holly or Charlotte?!

Mrs Hills came rushing up to me. "What happened, are you alright?"

"Y-yes I'm f-fine but there's a r-r-rat in the pantry and I stepped on it," I stuttered, feeling my cheeks warm slightly in embarrassment. By then, Holly and Charlotte had come out of their hiding places with concerned looks plastered on their faces.

Mrs Hills wrinkled her eyebrows.

"Oh dear. I'll take care of it. Holly, could you go and get me some insecticide?" she said. Holly nodded and rushed off. After that, Mrs Hills told me to go to a bathroom and wash my feet. I nodded and hopped off, Charlotte in tow.

"That was plain gross," she said, sticking her tongue out in disgust. I nodded, the feeling creeping back to my feet. I grimaced.

"So, still want to play hide and seek?" Charlotte asked, smirking. I widened my eyes in horror and shook my head pleadingly. Charlotte, however, merely threw her head backwards and chuckled before asking in a sickly sweet innocent tone, "Why not? I thought you were the biggest enthusiast among us?" I rolled my eyes at her and almost sprinkled water at her.

"Alright alright I'm sorry! We can play some board games, I guess." she exclaimed, putting her hands up, showing that she surrendered.

We headed back to Holly's room in silence, our feet sliding gently across the floor. Charlotte plopped onto Holly's bed, checking on her phone while I dug around her drawers, trying to find the box of jenga or something even more interesting.

The jenga was easily spotted at one glance, and while I was rummaging through another pile of games (she has way too much), a big box reached my eyes.

"Hey Charlotte," I said, interrupting her screen time, "Want to play this instead?"

"Oo, it's the Game of Life! Yea sure!" she exclaimed. Just then, Holly opened the door and joined us.

"Rat dead, no need to worry now. Oh wait is that the Game of Life I see?" Holly asked, mildly surprised.

"Yea I guess we could play this instead of jenga. More fun!" I exclaimed. Holly smiled, clapping her hands together.

"Lay out the board!"

Sorry this was late. I got sick yesterday and had to rest. 😷