Chapter 23

Holly's P. O. V.

I went to Charlotte's table after class, to ask if she wanted to play tennis with me after lunch. I had a really good time with her and I wanted to get to know her more, so what better than a good game of tennis in the warm afternoon sun?

"Hey Charlotte!" I said, "Want to come over to the tennis court at Leisure Towers at around two o'clock?"

Charlotte, who was with Greg, looked up.

"Sure, I would love to!" she exclaimed, smiling, "But I seldom play tennis so I'm not that good at it,"

"Oh that's alright. Angelina can't make it, by the way. Her mom restricts her to a playdate a week," I replied, getting her know. My eyes went to Greg, who was standing there awkwardly and I immediately felt a little guilty. Greg isn't really a friend of mine, just friendly accquaintances, but I felt kinda mean inviting Charlotte to a second playdate and not saying anything to Greg. I mean, they're twins after all, will they get into a fight because of this?

Deciding that it was better to save their relationship and also because it couldn't hurt to have another person to come over, I asked Greg if he wanted to join.

"M-me?" Greg stuttered. I nodded, unintentionally smiling when I saw his hilarious reaction.

"Yea, why not? The more the merrier anyway. So I'll meet you guys at two o'clock? You don't have to bring rackets, they're provided," I replied, "Alright, bye guys. Soo you later,"

Waving and smiling at the same time, I walked out of class to go home for lunch.

Timeskip: Lunch at the Heffleys

Mom's (Susan Heffley) P. O. V.

"Greg, you need to slow down or you will choke. Why are you in such a rush?" I asked worriedly. Gregory has always been a good eater, but I've never seen him this rushed in such a relaxed environment. What if something was wrong?

"Uh, nothing. I just want to have more time to relax after lunch," Gregory hurriedly said. I, however, did not buy his excuse. Really, kids need to know that their parents know when they are lying.

I caught Frank's eye and he gave me a look I've seen so many times.

"Greg, are you sure?" Frank asked, "Because I don't think that's all,"

Greg and Charlotte exchanged a look, before sighing.

"Fine, I'm just really excited because I'm also invited to play tennis with Holly along with Charlotte," he admitted. It was then that I finally realised what was going on.

"You like her, don't you?" I asked, and when Greg nodded my suspicions were confirmed.

"Aw, baby Gregory finally grows up and has a crush," Rodrick cooed, making a baby face.

"Rodrick, manners please," I said sternly, before softening and turning to Greg, "Greg, it's nothing embarrassing to have a crush. It's part and parcel of life. It might also determine your future partner, just like Frank and I."

I smiled sweetly at Frank, who blew a kiss at me in return. Seeing this, Greg gagged.

"Come on, Gregory sweetie pie, don't be so grossed out," I laughed. After that, lunch contunued with the usual chatter.

Time skip: 1:30pm

Greg's P. O. V.

"Good bye sweetie, have a great time! Remember the advice I gave you, take care of your sister and be back by six o'clock!" Mom yelled. Grimacing as I wondered how many of our neighbours heard her, I waved back and left with Charlotte, holding our water bottles.

"Is Leisure Towers far from here?" Charlotte asked.

"Yea it's about three miles from here so we'll be taking the bus," I explained to her, "I'll pay the fare,"

"Oh. Thanks," she said smiling.

We made our way to the bus stop just as the bus was arriving. The bus rumbled off, the scenery behind us blurring.

Within fifteen minutes, we arrived at the entrance. After telling the security guard that I was visiting grandpa, we went in.

"Are we actually going to visit, um our grandpa?" Charlotte asked, turning to me. I shook my head, "Grandpa would usually be watching the television and he doesn't like messing up his schedule without advance notice,"

"I see. It's one fifty, by the way. Holly should be here soon. Let's warm up first," she replied, going into the empty court.

We stretched in a rather awkward silence, but what ever we did, although we didn't tell each other to do so, was exactly the same and in sync. At first it was very funny, but after that I was a little annoyed.

"Stop copying me!" I exclaimed, but what I didn't expect was for Charlotte to do the same. We stopped and looked at each other, before we started laughing.

"Hey guys!" Holly called out to us. Shoot, what if I looked weird laughing? What if she was judging me?

"Hey Holly!" Charlotte replied, still laughing. Holly smiled in confusion and amusement.

"What's so funny?"

"We were having another case of… twin telepathy," I blurted out without even thinking.

"Oh haha! That's cool," Holly replied. I was really lucky that the sun can be an excuse as to why my face was suddenly feeling very hot.

After Holly got each of us a racket and a basket of tennis balls, she started to teach us, or in my case refresh, the techniques of holding the racket and hitting. For once I knew something that Charlotte wasn't familiar with. I can't count the number of times teachers compared me to Charlotte just because she was my twin and that she was smarter, and it's only the first week of school! I'm not jealous of her, but it's so annoying!

"Tennis is a lot harder than I thought," Charlotte remarked as she missed the ball.

"It's hard at the start but after practice you'll do a lot better," Holly replied.

"Do you guys want to play a friendly match?" I asked, remembering what Mom said. Holly's eyes lit up.

"Sure! You can practice your hits too, Charlotte!" Holly exclaimed, heading to the other side of the net. Victory number one! I thought to myself as I whooped internally.

Game after game we warmed up to each other and the atmosphere was more cheerful and less awkward. We laughed at each other, not unkindly, whenever we missed a shot in a funny way. It was probably the best time I've ever had with Holly.

"Charlotte, hit that ball it's the perfect shot for you!" Holly yelled. The ball flew past the net and to Charlotte, who was very intensely focused on hitting the ball with all her might. It came closer, and closer and Charlotte brought her racket to touch the ball and I could tell, this was going to be a strong shot.

However, instead of the ball, it was the racket that was flying over the court.

A/N
Good cliffhanger, yes? Heheh

Before I end off, shout-out to MckaylaEH and her book, The Big Change. Here's the link: https://my.w.tt/0UThbHAH7X

Also, I apologise if there are spelling errors. I didn't have much time to check through.

Happy reading!