Seven

Katie's pov

"Katie we're sitting with Luke, Calum, Michael and their other friends at lunch today" Ashton said as we headed towards the canteen, "But what about our friends?" I asked, "Im sure they'll survive without us two, they'll probably be happy we're leaving, all we do is annoy them" he said giggling, I chuckled as we made our way to the boys' table.

We both sat down and instantly I felt eyes on me, "We said Ashton could sit here, not Katie Holmes" a girl spat, "Well too bad 'cause I'm here too" I stated, not phased by what she said, I got it a lot, I think it was because everyone thought Ashton was good looking and they were jealous that I was his 'best friend' or whatever we were right now, "Yeah, sadly" she said, I turned away from her and faced Ashton who was staring wide eyed at me, "What?" I asked, "You were a little cheeky there" he spoke up, "I was cheeky? Did you hear what she said to me?" I asked, "Yeah, but Katie there was no need to be cheeky" he said, "Whatever ash, have fun here, I'm going to sit at a table where I'm actually wanted" I said, standing up and grabbing my lunch before heading towards my usual lunch table.

"Hi guys" I said quietly, "Hi Katie" Amanda said smiling at me as I sat down, "How have you been?" she asked, "Good, what about you?" I asked, "Yeah same here, where's Ashton?" she asked, "Sitting with Michael Clifford and the rest of them" I said directing her view over to where Ashton was sitting.

I saw Ashton looking at me and we made eye contact, I looked away though and when I turned back to the table, he was gone.

I sat eating my lunch, occasionally making conversation with someone, but for the majority I ate in silence, I felt someone tap my shoulder and I turned to see Calum, "Ashton told me to come get you and tell you he wanted to talk to you" Calum said, "Okay" I said as I stood up, "Bye guys" I said smiling at my friends before leaving with Calum.

I saw Ashton and he smiled at me, "What?" I asked him, "Im sorry babe" he said as Calum left us, "Okay" I said, "Come on Katie, you know you can't stay mad at me" he said, he was right, I couldn't stay mad at him, but I had to pretend I was, "Im pretty sure I can" I said, "Come on Katie, Im sorry babe, I should of taken your side" he said, I sighed, "Its fine ash" I said faking a smile, "Katie I may be a bit stupid but I can tell when you're not okay, tell me what's wrong" he pushed, the thing about Ashton was; he always had to know what was wrong.

I guess it was a good thing and a bad thing, a good thing because he always knew when something was wrong; a bad thing because he pushed me until I told him.

"It's nothing ash, I'm fine" I said, "Katie I've known you for like 8 years, I know there's something wrong" Ashton said, "Fine, do you want to know?" I asked, "Yeah" he said, "I don't think this game was a good idea, okay, there, I said it, I don't like the idea of this game Ashton" I said, "I didn't know" he said quietly, "Of course you didn't, you're too busy trying to win that you're forgetting about how I actually feel" I said, "Im sorry Katie" he said, "You're always sorry Ashton" I said before walking away to the bathroom.

I stood and stared at my reflection in the mirror.

It's been less than a week since I agreed to the game with Ashton and I couldn't handle it anymore.

None of us were caring about the other anymore, we just wanted to win.

We pushed each other and tried everything to get the other to crack but it didn't work.

I wish I hadn't agreed to this stupid game, I wish I just told him I wanted to be his girlfriend.

We both know we love each other.

We're both just too competitive to admit it, we want to win this game.

And if that means hurting the other, then that's just what will have to happen.

I had to win this game.

Not only to prove to myself I was capable of winning, but to prove to Ashton that I was better than him at making him fall in love with me and admit it to me.

I just had to win.

And I was going to win.

One way or another.