Twenty Six

Katie's pov

"Why can't you tell me?" I asked, more confused than ever, "Because Katie, believe me when I say this, you're better off not knowing" dad said, "Whatever, ill just go to the hospital and find out" I stated, "They won't tell you anything" he said, "What? Why? Dad, what's going on?" I asked, I was scared and confused.

"Just because Katie" he yelled, I gulped and nodded, "I, I'm going upstairs" I said quietly, scurrying up to my old room.

He was scary when he yelled.

I pulled my phone out and called Ashton, who answered immediately, "Babe what's wrong?" Ashton asked, "Ash, can you remember anything to do with my mum? Or anything before we were twelve years old?" I asked curiously, "Uh, now that you mention it, not really, why?" he asked, "I, I don't know ash, something's wrong, something, I, I just don't know anymore ash" I rambled, "Babe, what are you talking about? Are you okay?" he asked, "He, he yelled at me ash" I said, "I knew this was a bad idea, I'm coming to pick you up, ill ask Michael if its alright if you stay over here too" he said, I heard shuffling and then mumbled voices, "Michael said you can stay here, I'm coming to pick you up and you can explain what you're talking about" he said, "Okay ash" I said as he hung up.

I walked downstairs with my bag in my hand, my dad saw me, "Where are you going?" he asked, "I, I can't stay here dad, there's a reason why I left, you yell when you get mad or lose your temper, and you do that a lot, and you scare me when you yell" I told him, "Oh" he said, "Im sorry dad" I said hugging him, I heard a honking from outside, "I, I still love you dad" I said, "I love you too" he said before I left.

"Hey ash, sorry about making you come here" I said softly, "Don't be sorry babe, if he scares you, there's nothing you can do about that, now what were you talking about on the phone?" he asked, as he began to drive.

I proceeded to tell him about what my dad told me about my mum leaving him, and then about how I realised I don't actually remember my mum whatsoever, and then I don't actually remember anything before being twelve.

And it turns out, neither does Ashton.

"This is scary shit" Ashton said, "I know! What do you think happened?" I asked, "I don't know Katie, we should maybe go to the hospital or something" he said, "My dad said they won't tell me anything" I said, "We have to try something" he said, I felt tears running down my face, "Katie, why are you crying?" he asked as we pulled up to Michael's house, "I, I don't know ash, I just feel as though my whole life has been a lie, I've live the last five years believing my mum was a bad woman who just left me and my dad, and then tonight I find out she had a reason to, and that my dad was the bad one, so why did she leave me with him? Doesn't she love me? does she ever think about me? Does she even care about me?" I said, thinking aloud.

"Babe, I don't know the answer to any of those questions, and Im sorry, but just know i'll always be here for you" Ashton said, hugging me, "No you won't ash, you'll leave with your band soon, and i'll be on my own again" I said sighing loudly, "I won't ever leave you Katie" he whispered as he gave me one last squeeze before pulling away from the hug, "Come on, let's have a good night! We have finished school forever, and we're 18 in a week, one week and we'll be 18" he said, pulling my hand up the path and into Michael's house.

Ashton and I's birthdays are one day apart, his is the 7th of July and mines is the 8th.