Chapter 16. Day's End

Reid arranged to spend the night in Ana’s hospital room.

Once Prentiss had left to check on Hotch and torment Morgan with news of her impending trip to New York’s psychic hotspot, Rossi and J.J. weren’t far behind her. Rossi offered to drive Reid home, but the newlywed said he wouldn’t leave the hospital unless Ana came with him.

When an orderly brought a folding cot into the room along with a pillow and a couple of blankets, J.J. and Rossi decided that was their cue to leave.

The older agent gave the couple an understanding nod. “Call me if either of you need anything.”

After turning down the lights and laying out the bedding, Reid ignored the cot. He crawled into the narrow hospital bed beside his wife and wrapped his arms around her as tightly as he dared.

I won’t break, Spencer. You don’t have to be afraid to get too close. He caught the bubbling feel of merriment in Ana’s thoughts.

Can’t help it. That was scary. But he took her at her word and pulled her closer, inhaling the familiar, comforting fragrance of her hair. You smell like cherries and almonds. Did you know that?

Kinda. Her mental smile widened. That’s my shampoo. Check out the label next time we’re home.

Home.

His mind fastened on more practical matters which would confront them in the immediate future. Tomorrow, in fact, if all was well and Ana received a clean bill of health.

We’ll need to pack and see if Garcia can put together the travel arrangements. You know…plane tickets, car rental. A blip of laughter threatened to surface. I wonder if she can make reservations for us at that B&B?

Ana snuggled deeper. What do you think Miss Millie will say when we room together this time?

Finally, Reid’s laugh was full and audible. I think she’ll want to inspect our wedding rings very carefully. Even then, we might have to…I don’t know…sign something?... relieving her of responsibility for ‘improper relations’ occurring under her roof?

Ana snorted, muffling herself against Spencer’s stomach. Her efforts to conform to the quiet decorum of a hospital setting failed when her somewhat ticklish husband reacted to being nuzzled about the ribs with spasms of laughter. The couple let themselves go, releasing the tensions of the day and embracing each other as well as their relief at having survived an unexpected threat.

Down the hallway at her station, the night nurse smiled as she heard the young couple in room 731. It wasn’t often that mirth lightened the atmosphere on her shift. She knew she should check on them and make sure the young woman was alone in her bed, getting the rest she needed. But after due consideration, she elected to respect their privacy.

There was a tremendous amount of truth in the saying ‘laughter is the best medicine.’

xxxxxxx

Rossi was tired.

After returning the Bureau SUV and signing the paperwork that officially checked the vehicle back in, he and J.J. went together to the subterranean garage in search of their respective cars.

“Maybe I’ll see you guys tomorrow, unless Ana gets out, and Hotch is mobile, and you all head north at the crack of dawn.” J.J. gave him one of her gentle, wistful smiles; the kind that, over the years, had made so many situations easier to bear. “I still wish I could come, too. It’s hard to believe in all…this…without being able to see that place.”