Chapter 44. Defiant Spirit

Reid dozed off.

Knees folded under him, he sat on the floor by Ana’s bed. He’d taken the position in order to be as close as possible, face to face, without disturbing the doctor’s touch.

Earlier, Hotch and Rossi had stopped in for a few minutes. When they saw Ana was in no shape to receive visitors, they’d milled about uncertainly, reluctant to leave Reid on his own.

The doctor had let a slow smile spread to its widest when the two men appeared.

“Aaron.” A touch of sadness crept into the smile. “Ahhhh. You’ve been told.” He sent a pulse of warm comfort to caress Hotch, but the old man could tell it wasn’t nearly enough. The crinkled eyes turned to Rossi next. “When we have welcomed this little one to the light, the three of us will talk. Until then, Julio should be your next stop. He’s at Millie’s…” The doctor’s head tilted, listening. “…and he’s ready for you.”

Before returning his attention to Ana, he had addressed Hotch once more. “Don’t worry, child. You feel lost…” The smile recaptured its full, confident joy. “…but this…,” his glance encompassed the entire space and implied inclusion of the whole town. “…This is the best of all possible places to find oneself.” When Hotch still looked doubtful, the doctor’s voice softened. “What I find marvelous, troubles you. What I consider an incredible gift, disturbs you. It will pass, Aaron. If nothing else, let the birth of this remarkable child remind you of the endless cycle of which you are part.”

Hotch nodded, still not able to surrender completely to the idea of being Rossi’s reincarnated son. But the doctor noticed that when the older agent draped an arm around Aaron’s shoulders, preparatory to leaving the room, he not only put up no resistance, but almost snuggled into the embrace a little bit more.

He’ll be fine. The father has had more time to consider the prospect of having a son again, but they’ll both be fine. It will be fascinating to read their growing acceptance of something that alters their concept of reality.

And it will bestow a type of love that neither should have been denied.

xxxxxxx

Reid jerked awake, stiff and momentarily disoriented.

Seeing Ana’s peaceful face filling his field of vision, for a moment he thought they were at home and he was waking up in his own bed, seeing the sight that he never took for granted. Someone loved me enough to marry me! ME! And then he’d begin his day with a private, little thrill of happiness.

But something was different this morning. He wasn’t in bed. And he was forgetting something. Something important. When it hit him, his sleepy brain raced at the pace of panic. TODAY! My God it’s TODAY! I become a father TODAY!

The now familiar rumble-chuckle overrode Reid’s leaping thoughts and suddenly pounding heart. Telepath, calm yourself. It will be some hours yet before you meet your daughter. I suggest you go to Millie’s. Check on your friends. Eat some breakfast. Shower. When you return, if I think you’re refreshed enough, I’ll ask you if you want to travel this journey WITH your wife.

Reid’s recently recovered cognitive processes promptly returned to a state of shock.

Huh?

Would you like to experience this WITH her?