Chapter 69. Cleaning Up

“They found her!”

J.J.’s announcement was loud enough for the doctor and Rossi at the opposite end of the cabin to hear. “Reid’s got Melinda! They’re safe!”

Her expression shifted as she listened to the rest of Prentiss’ report. “B-u-u-ut…there’s something wrong with Bescardi.”

Garcia’s snort reminded everyone that she was still digitally present. It also underlined her contempt for the subject at hand.

Rossi echoed her sentiment. “I’d say that’s putting it mildly, J.J.” He looked down at unconscious Hotch, recalling Carol’s complete lack of concern when the man had been injured and lost in the wilderness. It had been years ago, but he could still see her shrug when he’d asked her if she wanted to know agent Hotchner’s fate; whether he’d survived the ordeal she’d engineered, or if her weekend ‘retreat’ now had a body count.

“Right now I’m thinking, if evil wanted a face, it would choose hers.” He sighed. At one time he’d thought her quite attractive. The glossy brunette hair, the elegantly overstated features, the faint Italian accent when she’d been enthusiastic or outraged… It’s a shame the contents didn’t match the packaging.

“No, Rossi, it’s something else.” J.J. glanced at the old doctor. “Something…Melinda…might have done. They’re not sure.”

Aware of her regard, and the trace of fear her words conveyed, the old man looked up, locking his calm gaze on hers. “The telepath’s child is responsible. I need to see her, but…” His lids drifted halfway down as he paused, sensing something none of them could detect. “…but take her to the empath first. Then,…” The eyes turned to Rossi. “…then bring her to whatever accommodations you have arranged for us.” He looked down at Hotch. “The little one needs to see what she has done to someone she loves.”

Rossi drew in a sharp breath. “Are you sure about that? She’s just a baby; she can’t understand all this…can she?”

The old man went back to smoothing Hotch’s brow. “Let’s just say I’ll have a talk with her…psyche to psyche.” He looked up again. “But first, we should move Aaron.”

Rossi nodded. For the first time since Hotch had collapsed, he released his hold on him, sliding his arm out from behind his friend’s shoulders, and went to check on the car service he’d hired.

J.J. looked up as he passed. “What about Bescardi?”

All the visions of pain and fear that the woman had inflicted on his team, his extended family, played before Rossi’s inner eye. “Leave her.” The response was brusque, cold.

“Rossi, we can’t do that.” J.J.’s voice was hushed, but still full of the compassion that came so easily to her and sometimes baffled her co-workers, albeit pleasantly. Sometimes the term ‘angelic’ applied to more than her looks.

Rossi paused, seeing the soft sympathy in the liaison’s eyes and sighed. “Okay. Bring her, then.”

But only because leaving her might implicate one of us. We have to clean this mess from the ground up to keep attention off Reid and his family.

xxxxxxx

Prentiss flipped her phone shut and took stock of her teammates.

Morgan had pulled the broken door closed as best he could, giving them some privacy in the event curious tenants should come to investigate the noise accompanying the door’s demise. Given the seedy state of the building, Prentiss didn’t think they would. This was the kind of place where curiosity would go hungry, if satisfying it meant the risk of getting involved. She turned her attention from the apartment door to its occupants.