Prologue

"Hi! What's your name?"

The boy said to me. I looked at him, my eyes blinking.

"My eomma and appa says I shouldn't to talk to strangers." I said.

"Oh, okay. Well, I'm Mark. Now I'm not a stranger."

I just blinked several times, not knowing what to say to him.

"You look so pretty, by the way." He said, smiling at me.

"Really?"

I looked over to Eomma and Appa. They were smiling at me.

"Yes. And um, I know you don't know me, but we're in the same school, just different classes." The boy continued, still smiling at me.

"It's nice to meet you, Mark, but I shouldn't talk to a stranger. My eomma and appa will scold me."

"Oh—um. You don't need to worry about that because you know my name already. And in the future, we won't be strangers anymore." He smiled even wider, his teeth showing.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because I promise to marry you in the future." He said, and my eyes fluttered open.

Wait, what?

It was dark, and it was cold. My heart was beating fast, although my breathing was normal.

I sat up on my bed, immediately feeling uneasy. It was the same feeling every night since we moved here.

My room was as comfortable as it could be, but the surroundings felt unfamiliar.

It made me miss my room in Canada.

I breathed in deeply, trying to calm my heart down as I remembered the dream that I just had.

It's been... so long.

I closed my eyes, trying to remember the boy's name from my dream.

Mark.

Then I smiled.

It's been a long while since the last time I dreamed about that little boy. I can't believe I would be dreaming about him tonight, after almost a year of not having that dream.

It was an old memory, from when I was five years old. My parents have always told me the story of how a little boy promised to marry me in the future, and they thought it was cute.

I thought it was cute too, although I don't really remember it ever happening. But I've just always kept the memory of that little boy in my mind.

Somehow, I knew that it did happen. Or else, I wouldn't be dreaming about it repeatedly over the years.

My heartbeat had returned to normal, making me feel more at ease. Breathing deeply again, I then looked at my phone under my pillow.

01:27
Monday, 11 December

It was still too early and I still had a lot of time to sleep before school starts later.

I proceeded to lie back down on my bed and think about the little boy, wondering if I'll ever meet him again.

As I felt myself slipping out of consciousness, I then smiled, thinking about what I would say if I happen to meet him again.

My name is Elizabeth Areum Moon.