Chapter 17. Of Sunset and Moonlight

- October 5, 2018 -

Friday

When I opened the front door, I half-expected to see all of my friends on the other side. But instead, there was only Donghyuck with his tired smile and a paper bag of what I assume were Mrs. Lee's cookies.

"Hey," he greeted with a soft voice, "princess."

I gave him a warm smile, the pet name not having that annoying effect to me anymore.

"Hey, Hyuckie." I greeted back as he hugged me and gave me a light kiss on my right temple.

We proceeded to my room upstairs after I let him in. He greeted my mom when we passed by her in the kitchen.

As soon as we were in my room, Donghyuck immediately splayed on my beanbag while I sat lazily on my bed.

"We missed you," he spoke up, typing on his phone.

"I know. The guys texted me." I sighed deeply. "Where's Mark?"

"He says he's looking for something. I'm not sure if he's coming."

I just hummed in reply.

I tried to refrain from eating the cookies since Mom was preparing dinner. But I couldn't resist them, so I chewed on one.

"Want some?" I offered to him.

"Nah, that's yours," was his reply.

Donghyuck continued typing on his phone. When I glanced at him, his tired expression was gone and it was replaced with a sweet smile.

"Is that Mark?" I asked while quietly chewing on the cookie.

"Seoyeon." He replied nonchalantly, never looking at my direction.

"Hm," I stopped eating, the cookie only half-finished in my mouth. "Okay..."

After a few seconds, I put the unfinished cookie back in its container and closed the lid, then I placed it on my desk.

I suddenly lost my appetite.

Sitting back down on my bed, I then changed the channel and watched some cartoons. I told Donghyuck that he could stay for dinner, to which he agreed. However, his eyes never left his phone screen.

He was too busy texting with Seoyeon.

I usually didn't mind it. He and Seoyeon seem to have gotten close over the days since they got each other's phone numbers. It truly made me happy for the both of them, especially for Seoyeon.

But I couldn't help feel a little left out.

The way Donghyuck has been actively ignoring me despite visiting me in the house makes me feel a bit irked.

I was absent at school today. After my breakdown yesterday, to which Mark found me at the park, Dr. Hyemi had advised for me to not go to school. I informed my friends about my absence in the group chat, so as not to worry them.

They told me to get well soon so that they can see me again.

I wasn't really expecting them to visit me today since I knew they were probably busy with schoolwork, so Donghyuck visiting alone surprised me.

However, the fact that he hasn't said a word to me since our short conversation about who he's texting with was beyond surprising.