Chapter 16. Do You Believe Me Now?

Are you still confused?

I recalled the way Mark stared at me that night. My own eyes were wide and I was frozen on my place.

"I thought he was going to kiss me," I looked down to the chessboard and sighed heavily, "but he didn't."

Jaemin stared at me from across the dining table.

"What did he do?"

"He just leaned away and apologized, saying that he didn't mean to... make me feel uncomfortable. It went really awkward and silent, so I made an excuse for him to take me home." I replied sadly. "I said I was tired and sleepy."

It's been a week and two days since that night in the park, when Mark and I sneaked out just to stare at the stars. When he and I talked about the sky, about being reborn, about soulmates.

It's been one week and two days since the night that he almost kissed me, for the third time. But this time, it was him who leaned away first, and I think that broke my heart.

Between the two of us, and his two attempts at that, it was me who always leaned away first. I didn't feel comfortable before, and I wasn't sure of Mark's feelings for me back then.

Even until now I'm still not sure, because he never told me that he likes me back.

"Hm..." Jaemin hummed lowly, looking at the chessboard between us, thinking deeply.

After a few seconds, he moved his Rook and took my Bishop.

"Yeah..." I sighed again, a stray hair falling from my now short hair.

I had it cut some days ago. Now it's medium-length, making the waves of my hair a bit more prominent.

I proceeded to tuck the stray hair behind my ear, then I moved my Knight and took his Queen.

We were at Donghyuck's dining room, playing chess in peaceful silence while Renjun and Jeno were in the slightly noisy living room, playing with Donghyuck's Xbox.

Donghyuck, in question, was in the living room too. But unlike the other two who were pretty loud, he was asleep on their couch. I wondered how he could sleep through the noise. Mark, on the other hand, wasn't with us today. He had to go home early to help his aunt and uncle in their house.

Meanwhile, I was staying at Donghyuck's because my parents were still at work. The others didn't feel like going home just yet.

"But weren't you two together the next day? I remember he told us that you planted a tree in his backyard. What happened then?" He then asked, to which I shrugged.

"We just planted the tree. We didn't really talk about it. I wanted to, but I was scared."

"Why?"

"I don't know, I just—I didn't wanna talk about it." I shrugged again, my head lowered. "Besides, I got too tired and fell asleep on their hammock."

"Maybe you just need to stop thinking too much into it," Jaemin stated as he carefully picked his Bishop to move.

"It's been a week and he acts like that night didn't happen."