Chapter 5. Sun-kissed

Lee Donghyuck, that one person from Mark's group of friends who was so stubborn, I swear I would've kicked him if only I could. His presence irked me so much because he can't seem to get that I didn't want to be friends with him, let alone interact with him.

But this guy's persistence was truly admirable.

At first, I thought Donghyuck would be as bad as Mark himself. They were best friends after all, and when Mark extorted my money on the first day, he only watched and didn't do anything to stop Mark. But then on the next period, he gave my money back to me and offered some biscuits.

After that, I found his presence always near me, if not close enough to pester me with his apologies regarding Mark's attitude towards me. I swear the words "go away" aren't in his dictionary.

But if I think back to those days where he would appear out of nowhere, I'd say I'm actually thankful that he never did go away, because those were the days that I started having a new friend. Those were the days that I met the real Lee Donghyuck, my first best friend in Seoul.

I did mention that I could just write a whole chapter about him, right? Right.

So let's travel a little back in time and start at the beginning of winter break, shall we?

- December 16, 2017 -

Saturday

1:26 a.m. I woke up drenched in sweat, my body feeling very weak. My whole shirt was soaked, and it felt sticky on my skin.

I tried to move on my bed, but I felt too weak that I couldn't move a limb. I tried shuffling on my bed, but that was all I can do, shuffle a bit. I was feeling very uncomfortable due to my soaked shirt, but I couldn't move.

"Mom... Dad..." I tried to call out but my voice was hoarse and weak.

My body felt so heavy, and I felt like throwing up or something. I tried calling out to my parents again, but my voice was too small, I knew they wouldn't hear it.

It was getting hard to breathe, and it was hot under the blanket that it felt like my skin was burning.

I tried moving again, getting as far as having my left hand out of the heavy blanket. From there on, I weakly dragged my whole body out of the bed and onto the floor.

I landed with a loud thud, pain shooting through my body.

A small yelp came out of my mouth, and I was beginning to tear up.