Chapter 6. Humor Me

I just drifted off to sleep, almost dreaming, when I heard my phone ring. I almost thought I dreamed up the sound, but I knew it wasn't a dream when it didn't stop ringing.

When I answered it, my sleepy state disappeared almost instantly after hearing Mark's voice on the other line.

"New Girl! Uh—I'm sorry. Hi."

"Hey, Mark. What is it?"

"Shit. Were you sleeping? Did I wake you up? I'm so sorry."

His voice sounded worried, but I couldn't really tell. I was still feeling a bit sleepy.

"It's fine. I wasn't far off."

"Oh."

I heard him laugh nervously and if I wasn't so drowsy at the moment, I would've thought his laugh sounded cute.

"Anyway, you okay? You haven't been texting me. Or Hyuck. He's worried about you."

"Oh. Sorry about that..."

I paused for a bit, clearing my mind.

My friends still didn't know about my condition, and I haven't spoken to them for the past few days because I was staying at the hospital.

Mom and Dad just picked me up an hour ago and my medications made me feel extremely sleepy and tired, so I headed to my room immediately when we got home.

"I'm okay, Mark. Thanks for checking on me."

I suddenly felt a little guilty for promising to go with them to the arcade last Wednesday but I was unable to because something happened that day.

However, that guilt was replaced with something I couldn't explain as my heart skipped a beat at his words. Mark was just casually asking me if I was going to school tomorrow, and he even joked that he wouldn't go because I was going, when he said it.

"I'm just kidding. Of course, I am. I missed you, you know."

I wasn't even sure if I heard him right.

"What?"

"What?"

"Huh?"

"I said, they missed you. Hyuck, and Jeno, and Jaemin, and Injun."

"Oh..."

I laughed shyly over the phone, still not used to the fact that my own friends tease me about their "crush" on me. If that was even true at all.

I still wanted to talk to Mark, but I was feeling extremely tired, as well as shy. So I proceeded to say good night to him.

"Me too. Anyway, I gotta go now. I'm really tired."

"Oh—okay. Good night, New Girl."

But my heart did that skip again at his greeting.

"Good night, Mark."

And I found myself feeling awake after that.