Chapter 12. How to Bake a Cake

- July 20, 2018 -

Friday

3:19 p.m. Today is our last day of school, the awaited summer break just eleven minutes away.

Everyone in Room 2-F were either giddy in their seats or checking the clock above the white board every other minute, waiting for its hands to strike 3:30. Nobody was even listening to Taeyong seonsaeng-nim anymore, everyone was just excited for the bell to ring.

You might be wondering why our last class is Economics when in fact it should've been P.E. in the gym or in the field. Well, for our last day, the teachers decided to give us a rest from sports since it'll be our summer break starting tomorrow.

That's why everyone was just so excited for our last class to end, we had a few extra hours to spend for the most awaited vacation of the year.

It was three minutes away from 3:30 and I was already imagining the things I would do during vacation: sleeping, hanging out with my friends, eating, playing horror video games, and sleeping again.

It's heave—

The bell then rang and everyone almost shouted in glee as they celebrated dismissal. Taeyong seonsaeng-nim spoke with a loud voice over the noise of our class.

"Alright everyone, we'll continue all our lessons next semester. Don't forget your individual projects, okay? That'll be due on the first day of class."

"Yes, seonsaeng-nim!" The class chorused.

"See you in August. Have a nice summer break!"

We all bid Taeyong seonsaeng-nim goodbye as he exited the classroom, then we proceeded to fix our things, preparing to leave as well.

Room 2-F was filled with excited chatters from boys and girls as they talked about what they're going to do this summer break. I paid them no mind as I fixed my stuff in a slow, calm pace.

"Hey, Elizabeth!" Seoyeon's voice grabbed my attention.

When I looked up, she was already in front of me, smiling.

"Hi, Seoyeon!" I greeted back with a warm smile.

"Wanna walk home together?" She asked politely and quite excitedly.

My smile turned into a worried expression as I bit my lower lip in thought. "I'm sorry, I can't. My friends and I are staying to eat for a while, then they'll walk me home."

Seoyeon's excited smile also disappeared. "Oh..."

"But I can walk with you to the lobby. I'll just tell them to meet me in the cafeteria."

The moment I said those words, her smile came back. We were the last ones to exit the classroom but when we got out, students filled the hallways left and right.

Seoyeon and I walked towards the lockers to put some of our books that we wouldn't be needing for the break while talking about our summer plans.

"I'll probably hang out in one of their houses, or they'll come to mine. If my parents allow them."

"Cool. My mom and I are going out of town for a week, then I'll probably be doing nothing in the house after that."