Chapter 8. The Secret and The Prank

- April 16, 2018 -

Monday

11:12 a.m. I looked from Donghyuck, to Mark, to Renjun, then back to Donghyuck. The three of them looked like they were plotting something, and it was just too obvious when they stopped talking right when I arrived at our table.

Jeno, Jaemin, and I just bought our food for lunch while the other three were already seated with their plates on the table.

The subtle glances and silent chuckles they shared with each other didn't go unnoticed by me. When I looked at my other companions, Jeno and Jaemin had uncanny smiles on their lips.

Hm.... What are they planning now? I wondered as I sat down on the chair next to Renjun.

"So, care to share your discussions?" I inquired, picking up my chopsticks and starting to eat my vegetables.

Our first quarter examinations ended just last week, so this whole week was given to the students to prepare for the awaited event this coming Friday. We won't be having any classes until the end of the week. Instead, all of us are to prepare the booths, the stalls, the games and the performances for the festival.

We were also allowed the freedom to wear anything besides our school uniforms. That's why my friends didn't hesitate to sport their over-sized printed tees, plaid shirts, large but cool-looking sweaters, fitted black or dark-colored jeans, and their fashionable jackets that look like they were made to be worn for a music video shooting.

They look good, really. Too good, to be very honest. No wonder the girls go crazy for them.

Meanwhile, I tend to wear whichever I see first in my closet, which mostly consists of simple shirts and jeans. A hoodie if it's cold, or some cardigan if I feel like it. I rarely wear shorts and I seldom wear dresses, though I have a reasonable amount of them.

Today, however, my mom made me wear this white spring dress that ran a little over my knees, and a light pink spring coat.

I don't mind wearing dresses, although it just wasn't my style. But it was a nice spring day, and my mom was in a very good mood to dress me up.

I'm not complaining today, though. The dress in question is equally nice, perfect for the current weather.

But I will never admit that because my friends tend to make a big deal out of it, telling me to wear dresses more often.

They used the term "prettier" on me, and I can't help but theorize if my dress actually had anything to do with the fact that Mark seems to be staring at me longer than usual ever since he picked me up this morning.

"Would you be mad if I played a prank on you?" Donghyuck asked from across the table, a mischievous grin on his lips.

I noticed the others grin too as they ate their foods. It looked and felt suspicious, but I just shrugged them off. It was probably nothing.

"Depends on the prank. I mean, I've been made fun of by Mark for two months so would that be any different?" I asked back.

Mark was the first one to laugh at my implication of our previous relationship, followed by the rest of them.