Chapter 18. The Play Date

I stared at Donghyuck on my left side, my eyebrows knitted deeply. He was playing a game on his phone, his face in deep concentration.

When I glanced to the right, Jeno was busy answering the Math problem on his notebook. Jaemin was doing the same thing next to Donghyuck, while Renjun was scrolling through his social media apps beside Jeno. Mark, on the other hand, was napping on the chair right across from me.

My eyes then landed back to Donghyuck.

Was that really just a dream or...

"Hyuck." I called his attention.

"Hm?" He replied nonchalantly, his eyes never leaving his phone screen.

"Hyuck." I repeated.

"Hm?" He repeated as well, making me roll my eyes.

I took a peek at his phone and without warning, I furtively paused his game, making him groan.

"What is it, Areumi?"

"I have a question."

He cocked his eyebrows, prompting me to continue. I darted my eyes among the four, my expression a little uneasy.

When I saw Jeno's unused Math book, I snatched it and used it to cover my face from the others, telling Donghyuck to lean closer.

"That night, in my room," I whispered, thinking of how to word my question properly. He had leaned closer but his eyes were back on his phone. "Did you... kiss me?"

Donghyuck abruptly stopped playing, his eyes sharply focusing on mine.

"Why do you ask?" He smirked towards me, an eyebrow arched.

"What are you guys doing there, huh?" Renjun's voice sounded from behind the thin book.

Donghyuck peeked out from the book, his hand making a shooing motion.

"We're best friends, Injun, this is legal." His face then went back, as well as his smirk. "Why would you ask something like that, princess?"

My eyes became uneasy, darting around the small space. "Uh... well, I... dreamed that you... kissed me..." My voice trailed off, hoping he wouldn't hear it.

"You what?" He asked loudly. "I didn't hear you."

"I dreamed... that you... kissed me." I repeated with a whisper.

"What? I really can't hear you, you know."

I glared at him, knowing well that he actually heard it. He just wanted to tease me.

"I said, did you or did you not kiss me that night in my room, because I had a dream of you doing that and—" I stopped whispering and looked down on the wooden table. "I thought it was real."

When I looked at Donghyuck, his dark brown orbs slowly traveled down to my lips, gazing at it for a while, then he chuckled and shook his head.

He and I have ultimately made up, and I've never felt more relieved. My best friend was back and there was no awkward tension between us anymore. He had accepted the fact that I couldn't return his feelings, and I've also accepted that I can't really stop him from being in love with me.

But we both promised that we'd still be the best of friends no matter what happens, and I couldn't be happier.

So now, we were all at my house. It was Monday evening and my friends went to visit and hang out after school, since I officially left already.

They were saddened by the fact that I'm not at school anymore, but that's how it has to be.

Dr. Hyemi said I had to stay indoors more often now, though I'm still allowed to go outside every once in a while.