Chapter 20. Remember

- October 26, 2018 -

Friday

"Elizabeth?"

Mark called my name.

"Hm?"

I hummed in response, my head resting on his shoulder.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

He asked, and I suddenly felt my chest constricting.

"N—no. I can't."

I answered, making his eyebrows furrow.

"What? Why?"

"I—I'm sorry, Mark," I spoke sadly. "I can't do this to you."

My eyes slowly fluttered open, the white ceiling of my hospital room greeting me.

The room was slightly dark due to the curtains being closed, but there was a hint of sunlight peeking out from the sides.

Tears were falling from both my eyes, the dream of what happened on my date with Mark haunting me.

I did it. I said no to him.

But I hurt him so much, and I felt so... miserable.

I thought that if I refuse him, it would give me relief. I thought it would make things easier for me and him. But I felt like I did something wrong when I saw Mark's tears.

He was so heartbroken that night.

I didn't mean to waste all of his efforts. It's not that I didn't appreciate what he did for me because trust me, I did.

I loved it so much, it made my heart ache for him.

But I just didn't want to hurt him even more, because I'm dying. I'm going to leave, and I didn't want to do such a cruel thing to him. He already lost so much, I didn't want him to lose me.

I thought it would be much better if we stayed as friends. That way, I know it wouldn't be too painful for him.

But it turns out I'm just as heartbroken as him.

I stayed still on my bed, letting the tears fall continuously. My breathing was heavy, my chest tightening. I wasn't sure if it was my condition acting up or if it was my emotions going all over the place. I couldn't really tell.

A quiet knock sounded from the door on my right side, making me turn my head towards it. The door then opened, revealing Miss Seolhee, the nurse in charge of taking care of me.

"Good af—oh, hey. What happened, Miss Moon? Why are you crying?" She rushed over to me, helping me to sit up.

I just stared at her as she assisted me, wiping my tears with a tissue from the side table.

"Are you okay?"

I slowly shook my head, not speaking. My tears still fell from my eyes. I must've been feeling really miserable because they wouldn't stop.

"Hey, it's okay," Miss Seolhee cooed, sitting on my bed and wrapping me in her arms.

She stroked my hair, giving me words of encouragement. She had such a gentle and caring nature, and I knew that's why I'd immediately feel better whenever she comforts me like this.

"I'm sorry." I said, burying my face on the crook of her neck. "You're always taking care of me. You must be very tired."

"No, don't say that. I like taking care of you." She continued to stroke my hair, making me feel calmer. "What is it? What's bothering you?"