|Chapter One - The Beginning.

Zuri's P.O.V

-
-

Making my way upstairs an' into our run down apartment I dreaded every second of going inside.

Living with an abusive step father along with a drug addicted mother was unusual - it was a child's worse nightmare. But I loved my mama an' I knew leaving her with that man would only end with someone being dead or in jail.

Standing against the opposite side of the door I contemplated on whether or not I should make my way inside. Some kids my age loved coming home an' being able to have a little alone time with their family, but me? I never liked this place - I never thought of it as a 'home'.

As I began listening to both my mother along with her husbsnd yell, I had already prepared myself for a long night - A night filled with fist being thrown along with cops being called.

I never liked the way she allowed some man to come into our home an' destroy our lives. Everything was perfect before he came along, then after she met him the beating began along with the drinking an' drugs.

I always knew he would be the cause of my mother's death - I just never knew it would've happened so soon ..

-
-  

Slowly pushing open the little wooden door I quietly made my way inside watching as they both stood face to face with one another arguing. I knew instantly that they were both high off of something.

"Get out my face Michael!" My mama yelled as she unexpectedly pushed his large body away from her causing him to stumble a little as I stood far away from them both.

"Selia .." He spoke out loud a bit too calm through gritted teeth. "I'm getting real tired of your shit."

He roughly pushed onto her body as her back hit against the wall causing me to make my way towards them a bit angry from his actions.

"Why would you do that!" I yelled out pushing him away before making my way towards my mama, helping her onto her feet. "Are you okay ma?"

"Move you little bitch!" She threw me against the floor.

Smelling the high stench of liquor on her breath an' being able to see how blood shot red both her eyes were, I could already tell she was high an' a little intoxicated.

"I'm not done with you!" He then stumbled over to where she laid.

"Don't hurt her!" I yelled out towards him as he began slapping along with kicking her repeatedly in the stomach.

"Shut up!" He ran over to where I knelt slapping me against the face. "You know I don't like it when you yell."

"I'm sorry." I quickly apologized while taking a hold of my red, thumping cheek.

"Mike you bastard." She finally stood to her feet while defending me by slapping him across the face.

A bit scared of what he would do next as he held onto his face looking between us both in disbelief, I prayed that he kept his cool through it all.

Reaching into his waistband not once taking my eyes off him I watched as he pulled out a gun - One I had never seen before anywhere in our little apartment.

"Please don't hurt us." Tears ran down my red face as I begged for him to put the gun away. "We're sorry!"

"I'm not gonna hurt you." A small smile formed against his lips as he made his way towards me.

"You little slut." My mama ran towards me getting into my face. "I knew you were fucking him."

I stood there in awe as she brought her hand up roughly slapping it against my already swollen face.

I then slowly backed away from them both ..

How could she say an' do what she did. She was the one that allowed that man to come into my room an' do whatever he desired with me. When I would beg an' scream for her to come an' protect me she would sit there an do nothing - She was always the 'victim'.

"You really gone stand there an' say that." Tears ran down my cheeks as I questioned her completely confused. "You were the one that allowed that man to come into my bedroom an' take advantage of me for years! - So don't say that shit mama, I'm tired of all the lies!" I yelled into her face.

"Your the damn lier!"

"Why would I lie?" I continued questioning her. "Your always so damn high or drunk that remembering shit that's been going on for years is completely foreign to your memory!"

"Fuck you, okay? I should have listened to your father and killed your ass when I had the chance."

I stood there in disbelief as her words sliced me deep.

"Shut up!" Mike yelled causing us both to look his way a bit frightened.

"Fuck you too Michael!" She spat out towards him causing him to look her way with gritted teeth.

"What you say?" He quickly questioned.

Mama an' I both knew he disliked being disrespected.

"I said fuck you!" Her voice grew even stronger an' louder as if she wanted him to hurt her - As if she didn't care about the outcome of the situation.

Without thinking along with us all still a bit frozen, he quickly brought the butt of his gun towards my mama smashing her directly in the head.

"Stop!" I screamed as my mama bled out from her head an' onto her face.

Looking towards him in disgust I then watched as he looked my way with a small smile plastered against his lip.

Jumping from the sound of several gun shots being fired from his gun entering my mama's tired body I screamed out in disbelief.

Looking between both her body laid out along with the smile against his lips I had already knew what was next to come.

"Please don't." My voice weakened as I became hysterical, slowly backing up against a locked door.

He then made his way towards me placing his ash filled hands between each of my out of control curls as he rubbed the tip of his gun against my thigh.

"One last time." My body shook in disgust as he bit down on his body lip while his breath cinched my nose.

Feeling as his hands explored my body I screamed in frustration hoping someone would somehow hear my cries.

Afraid for the only life I had I thought of several ways of getting out of his hold an' running far away.

Thinking of the worst I quickly brought my knee up slamming it between his legs with the little energy I had left. I then watched as his large frame slammed against the cold wooden floor while groaning in agony as pain instantly took control of his body.

Feeling the warmth of my tears flow down my face as I took one last look at my mama's lifeless body I then thought about how much she had changed - She was no longer my mother, but a woman that gave me life.

Running out of that dump as fast as I could an' onto the road, I made my way into a nearby alley slamming my weak body against the concrete floor with tears rushing down my swollen cheeks.
How could my own mother say those things to me - How could she be so heartless.

Laying there as darkness filled the place, the events of tonight constantly replayed in my head.

Who would have thought that I would be the one to witness my own mother's death - How could someone be so cold hearted.

Laying there thinking about what was next to come I stayed for hours allowing myself to fall asleep.

Never in a million years would I have thought that I would be homeless at nineteen.

What do you think is going to happen to Mike (Michael)?

Do you think Zuri's mama was right for the things she said to her?

What do you think is going to happen next with Zuri? Will she make it with no where to stay and with no money?

Continue reading to see what's next to come .. REMEMBER TO VOTE AND COMMENT!