Chapter 31

** Danny's POV **

I sighed as I sat down in the room where they said they'd bring Kristene after her x-rays and CAT scan. My shoulder was feeling like death; when the fucker stepped on it he managed to dislocate it. I honestly didn't care about that, though. All I cared about was Kristene.

They got her onto a stretcher and managed to keep her awake the entire ride to the hospital by giving her oxygen. After that, we were separated, they did x rays and an MRI on my shoulder. I had a meeting set up with the police to talk about the incident after I was able to talk to Krissy.

I was shaken out of my thoughts by the hospital room door being pushed open and her bed being rolled in. I instantly stood and watched as they set her in her place and changed over the fluids that she was hooked up to.

Once the nurses moved away from her, I was able to see her lying there, still awake, but very sleepy. "Hi babe," I said as I moved a chair over with my good arm and sat down next to the bed. "You doin' okay?" I looked over her, her blue eyes almost ready to shut, and a pretty good sized bruise was covering her lower neck. I put a hand up on the bed and let out a sigh.

She let out a sigh and nodded. "Are you okay," she asked weakly as she eyed my arm that was in the sling. "What's the verdict on your shoulder?" Her small hand moved over to grab mine.

I tilted my head to the side and watched her as she looked back at me with the most caring look. "How are you so concerned with me? You're the one who almost passed out... He cut off almost all of your airflow," I said, amazed that she was so concerned with me.

Kristene rolled her eyes as a small smirk made its way onto her face. "I still have no clue what exactly is wrong with me... You do... I- Danny... You saved me," she said with a sigh. "I could never thank you enough for that." Her hand gripped mine a little tighter. "Now what exactly is wrong with you? What'd he do to your arm or shoulder?"

I looked down at the black sling and let out a sigh. "The asshole got one swing at me, then another, I was knocked back... Instead of kicking me like a normal person would, he pushed me back so I was flat on my back with his foot, put all of his weight on it like he was walking, then just made his way out," I grumbled as I shook my head. "Now can you answer my original question? How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," she practically whispered. "My throat hurts... Head hurts a bit... Everything aches... Other than that, I'm okay. I'm glad you came when you did. I-I... I was just unlocking the door and then I heard his voice. I thought it was just going to be a slap like last time." A few tears began pulling from her eyes.

I shook my head. "Hey... Hey... You're okay now, hun," I told her, jumping up as fast as I could. I bent down and placed kisses where her tears were. "You're safe now... I promise you. That asshole... will be in jail."

As I pulled away, those blue eyes were looking back up at me. "How could he live down the hall from you," she asked, her voice cracking. "I-I... I just don't understand. How could we not know?"

"I don't know, Krissy... I just know that I'll make sure he never lives within 10 miles radius of us," I told her as I sat back down and held her hand again. "I'm sorry I didn't keep my word from the first time."

She shook her head at me. "It wasn't your fault neither time, Danny. I-I... It just wasn-," I cut her off as I shook my head.

"It was! I should've been there! I shouldn't have sent you up alone! It's all my fault," I told her, as hot tears began surfacing in my eyes.

She pulled her hand from mine and moved it up to cup my cheek. "No it's not. It will never be your fault. Never think that, Danny. I should have a better taste in men," she finally added with a small giggle. I missed that smile of hers.