I Want That Day

The days began to pass quickly as Harry and Ginny moved through class in the honeymoon type bliss that was their renewed relationship. They got used to being a couple again, keeping mostly to themselves in a sort of isolated world that ignored the past and focused only on the present and the future. 

A few weeks after their reunion Ginny got back late from a meeting with the prefects and made her way to her room, wondering if Harry had stuck around or gone back to the burrow.

When she entered her room she broke into a smile, seeing him asleep on her bed. He had one arm folded behind his head and the other was on his chest holding something. She pulled off her robe and crawled up beside him.

He looked so peaceful she decided not to wake him so she settled beside him and pulled the letter out of his hand to set it aside. She couldn’t help smiling, assuming it was another letter from her brothers. So far Percy was the only who hadn’t written Harry a letter of warning after hearing that they were back together. She had found them all pretty amusing but Harry had seemed genuinely concerned for his safety after reading the multitudes of things that would be done to him if he so much as made her frown.

She glanced at the name and paused. It was addressed to him in a girl’s handwriting but it wasn’t hers and she frowned slightly as she sat up, crossing her legs under her.

She fiddled with it, turning it over in her hands. The seal was broken so she knew he had read it already and her fingers itched to open it. She traced his name with her finger before flipping it over again.

“You can read it if you want,” Harry said from behind her and she jumped, shifting quickly so that she could see him. He hadn’t moved but he was watching her.

“No, I don’t want to… I mean… it’s… who’s it from?”

Harry sighed and sat up, folding his legs and shifting so that he was sitting across from her, mirroring her position. “Beth.”

“Oh,” Ginny said softly as she dropped the letter into his lap quickly and bit her lip as she folded her hands in her lap. “I… I thought you weren’t talking.”

Harry picked up the letter, fingering it. “We’re not… or I guess we weren’t.” They were silent for a second before Ginny spoke.

“What does she want,” Ginny asked, trying to be casual, trying to sound like her heart wasn’t suddenly pounding but she wasn’t sure if she succeeded. Everything had been perfect. It was almost like they had just been pretending like they had never been apart and in many ways it felt like that was true, but this was a big fat reminder of reality and she tried not to be nervous.

“She wants to talk. She wants me to meet her… for lunch,” he said, looking at the letter before looking back up at Ginny’s face. “But I don’t have to go. If you don’t want me to go I won’t go Gin.”

“Do you want to go?”

“I… it’s not that I want to go. But I kind of… I don’t know. I feel like I owe her that? I mean… if she needs to…” he trailed off shaking his head. “I’m not going to go. It’s not a big deal.”

“If you think you should go Harry, then you should go.”

Harry shook his head and leaned in, kissing her softly. He pulled back but then leaned in again, kissing her again, his lips lingering on hers before he pulled away.

“I don’t want to go. It bothers you… I won’t go.”

“It doesn’t bother me.”

Harry gave her a small smile and pulled her forward onto his lap. “You’re a terrible liar Gin,” he said, wrapping his arms around her and kissing her. After a minute she pulled back.