Recap 2018

As for Jin’s narration, he said that we “wear a mask because of fears”, but in order to truly love, “we have to face our own bare face”. Finally, “the real love is the courage to become our real self”.

I also feel like the choice of songs in MMA, along with their order, is important. Let me explain: first, with DNA, the boys thought they've found their true loves and that they would be “together eternally”, in YNWA, they say that “they can laugh” only if they're together with their love ones, but as nothing can really last eternally, in Spring Day their love ones leave them and they find themselves lonely and sad and cold. It was fake love.

SBS Gayo Daejun.

In the recent bangtan bomb which was about BTS performance in SBS Gayo Daejun, we found out that RM was supposed to show off his shirt during his on stage change of outfit. But the poor boy was so stressed that he forgot! It's okay Namjoonie hyung, you did well regardless!

But why was the shirt important? On it was written “wahnfrieden” (that's not a word, I searched it!), which refers to the name the classical music composer Wagner gave to his villa: “Wahnfried”. In fact, in german “wahn” means delusion or madness, and “fried” means peace or freedom, and Wagner did engrave in the front of the house a sentence that says: “here is where my delusions have found peace, let this place be named Wahnfried”.

I personally understand “wahnfrieden” like: to be freed from one's delusions, to be wahnfrieden. Maybe one of these delusions is love, that we want to acquire through others while we don't even give it to ourselves in the first place.

KBS Gayo Daejun.

Earlier I’ve talked to you about wearing a mask, remember? Well, this theme appeared again in the KBS Gayo Daejun VCR, that encouraged us to take it off! And not only that, but later that night, Yoongi hyung tweeted this:
This expression, of wearing a mask, actually made me remember about the outro: Her, that I think is the track in the album that is the most related to loving oneself. In it, both Suga and J-hope use the sentence: “to mask on”. Along with RM, they talk about how they want to “become what their lovers want” and that in order to do it they “never take off these masks, because within these masks they're aren't the guys that their lovers know”. But when they finally take off their masks, they can “enjoy the darkness” and “just see where the heart goes”, so they become their true selves.

But this wasn't the only thing that this performance revealed, in fact ARMY already found out that the VCR referred to a book from James R. Doty: Into the magic shop. So I bought the book, and read it. What I retained is that the author explain that what we want isn’t necessarily what makes us happy (he use the term “delusion” a number of times), but that who we are is. He then show the important of the self-confidence, but not the one that makes us arrogant, no, the real one, that allows us to open our hearts to others without fears.

See how everything is connected? We just found the fears from MMA again!
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Finally, last week Namjoon hyung tweeted some pictures he took at the “Alice, into the rabbit hole” exhibition. So of course I started wondering if/how Alice was connected to “Love yourself”. Here's what I found: through the 2 original books written by Lewis Caroll, Alice undergo a lot of appearance changes (she grow tall, then she shrink...), but also psychological changes (she suddenly forget some lessons and poetries that she learned in school...). This repeated changes may represent some identity crises that Alice goes through. Also, the transformation of the caterpillar into a butterfly is a well known symbol of inner transformation, becoming one's true self (if you aren't already interested in the transformation process of a caterpillar into a butterfly, go google it! It's amazingly interesting!).

On the other hand, the odd world that Alice explore seems at first enchanting and filled with wonders, but as she progress in the story, it appears to be a delusion. In fact, this wonderland is totally illogical (the characters talk nonsense, the time is disrupt…) and even scary (the Queen of Heart that is ready to kill anybody and everybody).

Again, the delusion, like for SBS and KBS Gayo Daejun...