40.

** Shelby POV **

It was so embarrassing forgetting my toothbrush, but honestly I had no intentions on going back to that room tonight. I made my way to Ashton’s room and knocked on the door. Almost instantly Bren opened the door. I flung myself to her, and finally let the tears run free.  

She wrapper her arms around me without saying a word. The room had a weird atmosphere, but I didn’t think twice about until I heard someone clear their throat. Signaling that someone else was in the room.

“I am just gonna go.” Ashton said before leaving the room. I was thankful that he did, but to be honest I could care less if he was here or not. All I needed right now was my best friend. She was there for me when everything initially fell apart, and she would be with me now.

Bren took my hand and led me to the bed. I laid down as she wrapped her arms around me to bring me comfort. This act seemed so strange after all this time of happiness, but having this sister figure made me feel automatically secure.

“Talk to me, Shelby. What is going on?” Bren said with a little sigh. She kept rubbing patterns into my back helping my breathing come back to a steadier place.

“I am being ridiculous. I should not have gotten mad. This is so irrational. Why did I do that?” By now I was frantic. I got up from the bed and started to pace around the room. Bren grabbed my arm and spun me around forcing me to look at her.

“Wait, start over. From the beginning.” She pushed me into the chair in the corner of the room, and placed herself on the seat in front of me.

“Okay.” I took a deep breath. “When Brad called he had it on a three way call with my dad. My dad started to me, and everything inside of me went cold. I could not breathe, let alone reply.” I started, but was cut off by Bren.

“That dick! I am going to get on the first flight to London to beat his ass!” Bren yelled getting mad at Brad which I totally understood, but now was not the time.

“Bren.” I said getting sternly in order to regain her attention.

“Sorry, continue.” She replied nodding back at me.

“Anyways, Calum decided that it was okay to take the phone from me. Him and my dad started going at it, and he started sticking up for me.” I said continuing my story.

“Isn’t that what you would want?” Bren asked me with a confused look sketched across her face.

“N- I mean, yes. I don’t know what I want right now. I am just so confused.” I sighed. As the words left my mouth the conversation I had played in my head forcing me to zone out.

FLASHBACK TO BEFORE CALUM TOOK PHONE

“Hello, Shelbs.” His voice said through speaker. His words sent shivers down my spine. “How are you my baby girl?” He said in a mocking tone.

I could not reply. I just sat there without air running through my body.

“You used to be such a quite one. Has all the slutting around come back to haunt you? It worked for your mother.” I still could not reply to his words. “Come on, princess. You were always daddy’s little girl. You can talk to me.”

His words just made me feel numb. Nothing in the world seeming to bring me warmth not even the boy next to me who was staring at me with such worry in his eyes.

“Answer me, dammit!” My father yelled through the phone making me slightly jump, and squeeze Calum’s hand. Next thing I knew, Calum had taken the phone out of my hand making me want to crawl into the bathroom and cry my eyes out.