Chapter 17

Default taps on the screen as she works playing soft music in, her head was full of shit not knowing what she can do to make things right. Tapping on the screen she checks on the grounds moving the cameras around.

She pushes the chair back and stares at the screen wondering how to approach Devilin in a way no one will get hurt. She cannot throw her own grandmother under the bus, that would be murder and she cannot just keep quite knowing Videl was in trouble.

Her ethics and upbringing will not let her sit and let things happen when she has the chance to make things right, so she calls the only man she can always rely on.

"Imagine" she starts as soon as she hears Adrian's voice making the man laugh.

"What have you got yourself into?" he asks, and she sighs.

"Just imagine old man" she groans.

"Okay, okay, I will play along. What do you have?" he asks.

"So, imagine I have put a kettle on the gas because I am sick and I need hot water and it's the only water I have left so it whistles telling me the water has boiled and I walk towards it but at the same time my phone rings which is at the other side and it's a life and death matter...

So, which task should I do, turn off the gas and get the hot water or pick up the phone?" she asks.

"What kind of weird situation is that?"

"Because it's a weird day, so phone or water?"

"You can always call someone back"

"No, no I cannot it's just one-time call and it will be too late if I return the call"

"Then turn the gas off"

"But the water will vaporize and there will be nothing left to drink" she groans.

"Who is on the other side of the phone?"

"How would I know who is on the other side of the phone when I have not even received it?"

"Then will you die if you do not drink the hot water?" he asks making her think.

"The water will vaporize for, forever" she sighs rubbing her face.

"Then turn the gas off first before you go to pick the call, you will not be able to listen to what the person in the phone says if the kettle kept whistling anyways"

"But what if when I reach the phone it's gone and stops ringing?"

"Listen kid, you know the answer yourself. You know who is at the other side of the phone, if you thought it was important you would have chosen it, but you are not choosing it and making excuses of a hot water...

So, don't let the water vaporize because that is what is worrying you the most" Adrian speaks, and Default speaks as she once again stares at the screen.

"The ringing has stopped" she whispers.

"Good, go turn the gas off"

"The water is hot, and it will burn me if I stopped it from vaporizing"

"Then put some goddamn gloves if you have to" he groans in irritation.

"I know where Videl is" she confesses, and the phone line goes quiet.

*******

Videl swings her legs as she waits for Nicholson sitting on the bonnet of the car as her eyes lands on the family that was having a little picnic while some kids were running around with water guns.

"All set" Nicholson announces as he walks out of the house and Videl smiles giving him thumbs up.

"Yo asshole" Naomi shouts as she walks towards them with a water gun and Nicholson raises a brow her way.