Chapter 6 : F*** Bowers

✎ 𝓮𝓭𝓲𝓽𝓮𝓭

When I was younger, I constantly got hurt. I think this was because I was once outgoing and reckless. As a child, I didn't have a care in the world because I thought that when I got hurt my mother would address my wounds and then I would be okay again. And for many years, I was right. It wasn't until I turned 6 that she stopped caring for me the way that a mother should. I was confused at first and it just made my wounds hurt even more. I had to teach myself to address my own wounds and make sure I didn't get sick or infected. After I got tired of having to clean my own wounds and then getting scolded for wounding myself in the first place, I stopped being so outgoing and courageous. I think that's the part of me that I miss the most at times-- the adventurer. 

"Bad move," Richie sucks in a breath as Bill accounts the abuse he received from the hands of Henry. 

"He started to carve his name into my stomach," He finishes off his explanation.

"How did you get away?" I ask, my curiosity suddenly piquing.

"I kicked him and the momentum threw me over the bridge and I fell down a hill and ran right into you guys," He looks between me and Richie for our reactions. I know my eyes show my awe towards his courage. 

"Don't worry about Bowers, he's just a big jerk," I send him a reassuring smile. He smiles back, his face lowering slightly as his cheeks glow red. 

Stan, Eddie and Bill come running down the alley at a high speed with arms full of things. It looks as though these boys escaped a mass murderer. How do they even run so quickly and clumsily? My asthma stops me from running like that. Oh, how I envy them. 

"What happened? Did you get the stuff?" I ask with concern since they are all out of breath and nearly doubled over with their hands on their knees. Eddie rushes over to Ben with all the first aid supplies. They untie my flannel from Ben's stomach.

"Just suck the wound," Richie tells Eddie.

"I need to focus now," Eddie replies to  Richie.

"You need to focus," Richie repeats.

"Yes, can you go get me something? Jesus," Eddie's voice drips in annoyance as he tapes up Ben's stomach.

"Oh, what do you need?" Richie asks.

"Can you go get my bifocals? I hide em in my second fanny pack," Eddie instructs Richie.

"Why do you have two fanny packs?" Stan asks. 

I can't help but giggle at the exchange between the three boys.

"Hey, do you still want your flannel?" Stan asks, holding it up for me. I sigh and look at it covered in Ben's blood

"No, its fine. I kinda knew I wasn't gonna get it back when I first gave it to him," I shyly reveal as I take it out of Stan's hands and throw it across the alley. It lands in a heap on the other side.

"But you still gave it to him," Stan points out.

"Yeah, he needed it more than I did," I shrug my shoulders nonchalantly causing Stan to smile. As I examine Stan's features and outfit, I notice he has a watch.

"Oh, Stan what time is it?" I ask.

"It's 2:48. Why?" He asks with concern.

"I just have someone depending on me," I tell him, not bothering to explain out of fear that I'm oversharing.