Chapter 39 : Light Of God

I touch a smooth rock as I remember what happened here. Before Bowers went totally psycho, he was just a broken, angry kid who deserved better than what he got. I was no doubt the first and only person to ever see him like that- as he truly was. I walk along the road now, towards my old house. It's fixed up quite a bit, I can hardly imagine the prior sadness in this newer looking home. When I left, I didn't intend to have that stupid ring stand for everything I had a heart for. I loved Stan and that was from him. He has to be my artifact, I just know it. When I was staying with Stan, I would be home alone for a little bit. I decide to head to his old house in search of my artifact. When his house is in my sights, I see there are no cars in the driveway. Nobody is home. I walk around the back, where I used to climb into his window. I check the dirt floor, digging and clawing in the bushes. Finally, I find it. I hold up a steel star of david necklace, letting it shine in the light. I'm surprised that after so long it still shines like new. It takes me back.

2 7 Y E A R S  A G O
I lay down in Stan's bed, reading a book. When he's gone like this, I usually just lay down in his room and read. He still has to go to the church for Torah practice as well as practising on his own. Which in my opinion, a little excessive but practice makes perfect, I suppose. I skim over my pages and have to start over. I sigh softly as I begin the first paragraph again. I look up at the steel cross necklace hanging on his desk. I set my book down and quietly walk over. I pick it up and examine it. Yesterday, Stan was getting frustrated from the Torah and I encouraged him to take a break. He didn't listen, he just threw the cross out the window before swearing and running to find it. He does that a lot nowadays. He will get frustrated and throw the necklace and then realise his mistake and grabs it. I hold the necklace in my hand. The weight throws me off as I didn't expect it to be so heavy. I open his window and drop it on the floor. He doesn't need to worry about it's weight right now. Besides, I know he hates that piece of jewellery, I don't blame him either. I would do the same thing if my mother or father ever gave me a piece of jewellery to carry on their tradition. I want to make something for myself, not for them. Besides, after all my parents put me through, I could never take any of their heirlooms and not feel the pain. I close back up the window and return to my book.