Chapter 13 : Screw Adult-ing

We eventually make it into town. The parade is going on. The school band is marching through the streets. Eddie stopped to get himself and Richie ice cream. I walk with Eddie.

"Look at everyone," Stan says. I look around me.

"Everyone has a smile, nobody even seems to care that kids are going missing," He says. "They're too wrapped up in their own heads,"

"That's what adults do. They only think about their problems... And when they don't have any, they make one up. Us kids, we can see the reality of life more than they can, and that's what's truly terrifying. Something they'll never want to come to terms with, reality and responsibilities," I say. I feel a hand grab mine I look down in surprise, and look up at Stan. He smiles, I can't help but smile back. Everything will be alright. We walk over to Bill, Bev and Ben. Bill is looking at the missing kids' poster.

"They say they found part of his hand all chewed up near the sandpipe," Stan says out loud.

"He asked to borrow a pencil once," Ben adds. Bill lifts up the paper, revealing Betty Ripsom's missing poster.

"It's like she's been f-f-forgotten because Corcoran's missing," Bill sadly puts the paper back down.

"Is it ever gonna end?" Stan asks.

"What're you guys talking about?" Eddie comes around the corner with two ice creams in his hands. He licks one. Richie walks over and grabs the other from his hand.

"What they always talk about," Richie says.

"I actually do think it will end, for a little while at least," Ben pipes up.

"What do you mean?" Bev asks.

"So I was going over all my Derry research, and I charted out all of the big events. The ironworks explosion in 1908, the Bradley gang in '35, the black spot in '62, and now kids being..." He looks for the right words. "I realised, this stuff seems to happen every-"

"27 years," Bill finishes for him.

"We should find a place to sit down," I suggest. Everyone nods their heads in agreement. We find a nice bench overlooking the outdoor stage. I sit on the bench next to Bev, with Stan sitting on the top of the bench on my other side.

"Okay, so let me get this straight. IT comes out from wherever to eat kids for like a year, then what? IT just goes into hibernation?" Eddie asks.

"Maybe it's like... what do you call it... cicadas. You know the bugs that come out once every 17 years," Stan says. I nod my head in agreement. It is a good comparison.

"My grandfather says this town is cursed. He says that all the bad things that happen in this town are because of one thing. An evil thing that feeds on the people of Derry," Mike says.

"But it can't be one thing. We all saw something different," Stan stops him.

"Maybe. Or maybe it knows what scares us most and that's what we see," Mike offers. Of course, that would make sense.

"I-I saw a-a leper, it was like a walking infection," Eddie says.

"But you didn't," I snap my head over to Stan, "because it isn't real. None of this is, not Eddie's leper or-or Bill seeing Georgie, or-or-or the woman I keep seeing-"

"Is she hot?" We all look over to Richie.

"No Rickie. She's not hot!" Stan says. "Her face is all messed up. None of this makes any sense. They're all like bad dreams," Stan justifies.

"I don't think so, I know the difference between a bad dream and real life okay?" Mike snaps.

"What did you see? You saw something too?" Eddie asks. Mike sighs.

"You guys know that burnt down house on Harris avenue? Well, I was inside it when it burned down. Before I was rescued... my mom and dad were trapped in the next room over from me. They were pushing and pounding, trying to get to me... But it was too hot. By the time the firefighters found them, the skin on their hands melted to the bone. We're all afraid of something," He finishes.

"You got that right," Richie says and looks behind him.

"Deirdre, what did you see?" Stan asks. I push my glasses up and sigh.

"That's the thing, I didn't see anything... I was alone. Everyone was gone. I never felt so... alone," I tell him, hugging myself. He puts a hand on my shoulder for reassurance. I put my other hand on top of his.

"Alright Rich, what are you afraid of?" Eddie asks.

"Clowns," He says, looking over nervously at the stage.

"Let's put everything t-t-together at my house," Bill says. We nod and silently walk to his house.

"I'm sorry you got caught up in all this mess, with Henry, and this thing-" I cut Stan off.

"It's fine Stan, It would've happened eventually," I tell him, referring to the clown.

"Deirdre," He starts after a pause.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"No offence, but how come you didn't have any friends?" He asks. I shrug.

"I was just always meant to be alone I guess, I've always had to be," I tell him nonchalantly.

"Nobody has to be alone," He looks at me thoughtfully. I nod and smile at him. He doesn't understand, he has never been truly alone ever.