Chapter 45 : Nothing Gold Can Stay

We all stand at the newly installed railing at the quarry. It seems like just yesterday we were jumping off and into the water. Bev hops over silently. I go through the bars like entering a ring. Everyone else goes over the railing and we stand at the edge. Bev jumps off first like the very first time we ever came here. I follow and jump off. The cold water wakes me up and I'm swimming for the shallows.
"You never learned how to swim." Mike smiles at me softly.
"Can't teach an old dog new tricks." I smile softly. We all scrub the blood, sweat and grime off of our bodies.
"You know what? Eddie would've hated this." Ben speaks up.
"What? Cleaning ourselves with dirty water?" Bill says. I smile softly.
"He'd be telling us we'd get streptococcal- something." Bev chimes in.
"Ture, but he would've made us laugh though." Mike points out/
"Oh yeah." Bev agrees with a smile.
"He always looked out for us." I smile sadly.
"You ok Richie?" I turn to see Richie crying. I swim over to him and hold him in a hug. Everyone else follows my lead and soon we're in a big group hug.
"Thank you. I don't have my glasses on, so I don't know who you people are but thank you." Richie stops crying. We all laugh softly.
"I legit cant find my glasses." Richie finally says.
"Richie." I sigh out. We all go looking for them.
"Richie, were the fuck would you drop them?" I ask.
"I don't know." He shakes his head with a small smile. I continue to look around.
"Found them." Ben and Bev come back over to us.
"Come on, guys. We don't want aids." I say, laughing slightly.
"You're right." Ben laughs with me. We all walk back up in our dripping wet clothes and back into town. We walk through the streets of Derry, dripping and looking like a group of crazies.
"Hey, guys." Bev catches our attention. I stop and turn to her.
"Look." she holds out her hand where her scar is supposed to be. I look down at my hand and it's also gone.
"Nothing lasts forever." Mike says. I get the chills at his words. We look at the window and we see ourselves as young kids. I miss it, our innocence and carefree happiness...