Chapter 18 : Kindness? That's Suspicious

I get there and see all the lights off. I walk around the house and grab the spare key. I go it through the back door. My mom sits in the kitchen.

"Deidre." She says breathlessly. She looks terrible like she's been crying.

"Why did you want me here?" I ask coldly. She fumbles around with a bag.

"Here. It's some things I want you to have." She holds out the bag.

"Oh!" She exclaims. "And he took Chucho to the pound." I look at her. She holds the bag out. I take it.

"Thank you," I say softly. I turn and walk out the back door.

"Deidre." She calls out. I turn and face her.

"If you need anything, please let me know." I walk out the door. She's never been that nice to me, but she was nicer than dad. Maybe she feels bad. I walk to Stan's house quickly. The lamppost flickers above me. I look around nervously. A maniacal laugh echoes throughout the streets. I scream and run.

"Oh shit, oh shit!" I exclaim as I run through the streets. I see Stan's house. It's so close. I run to his window, it's open. I climb in and shut it behind me.

"What happened?" Stan asks as I catch my breath. I hold up a finger and take my inhaler. I catch my breath and calm down.

"I heard that clown," I tell him. His face turns a lighter shade. He looks at my hands to the bag.

"My mom gave me a bag of things, I don't know what's in here," I say. I don't even know if I want to look.

"Do you want me to stay with you while you look in it?" He senses my nerves. I nod. 

I sit on his bed with the bag on my lap. He sits next to me. I look up to him for reassurance. He nods and smiles. I unzip the bag. I see a dress with some shoes, and a note attached. I pull out the and hold it up. It's beautiful. It is white with some light pink flowers on it. I look at the shoes. There are two pairs. One is a pair of some converse, the other is dress shoes. I look in the bag and see an envelope. I grab it and open the envelope. I pull out a beautiful ring, a necklace and some money. I look at the note, it reads:

Deidre,

I know I haven't always been the best mother, but I will do the best I can to help you now. In this bag, I have for you, some money, my wedding ring, a necklace I've waited years to pass down, and some clothes. I know you have the party for that boy, so I bought you a dress, and some new shoes ( I know you like to wear your comfy shoes so I bought some of those too). I've been planning to leave your dad. If I do, I want you to know you are welcome to come with me. I think I will live with my sister in Boston until I'm on my own two feet again. I plan to leave in a few weeks. I know that I have no right to ask you to come with me, but I want to start over. I want to be a mother again. I miss you. Please, baby, I love you so much.

Love, mom

Wow. I know Stan read it too. My eyes fill with tears and I smile softly. I look at the necklace in my hand.

"Are you gonna go with her?" Stan asks.

"I don't know... I don't want this ring to be a reminder of my father." I tell him, holding it in my hands.

"Then don't let it be a reminder. This," He takes it from my hands. "this represents your new freedom, your new life." He holds it out. I shake my head.

"I... I don't know." I say softly and hug myself. His arms wrap around me. I lean into his embrace. I look up at him.

"Deidre," He says softly.

"Hmm?" I ask. He smiles.

"Nothing." I shrug it off.

"You wanna call it a night?" I ask. He nods.

"Let me get something for you to sleep on." He looks around for spare blankets and pillows.

"I don't want my parents to know I'm letting you stay with us." He says while looking everywhere for blankets. He doesn't find any.

"Well, I could sleep on the floor and you can sleep in my bed." He suggests.

"Oh no, Stan. I don't want you to have to sleep on the floor." I say.

"It's fine, you're my guest." He says, quoting me. I roll my eyes and sigh. I won't win with him using my words against me. I climb into his bed. It's pretty comfy. He turns off the lights. I sigh. I feel so bad about him having to sleep on the floor with nothing.

"Stan?" I call out.

"Yeah?" He whispers.

"Come here real quickly." I say. He is at my side in a second.

"What's wrong?" He asks, sounding concerned.

"I don't feel right about you having to sleep on the floor. Come on." I grab his arm and move over so he can climb in. He hesitantly climbs in. I curl up next to him.

"This is nice." I say.

"Yeah, it is." He says. His rythimic breathing makes my head rise and fall on his chest. I smile softly to myself. This is nice, real nice.